Close

Thread: 5.0 swap info

Default 5.0 swap info

My son has a 86 v6 mustang convertible and wants to put suspension motor and transmission from a 87 gt parts car
    Rear brake line is diffrent? Up front can he swap out the struts spindles and calipers and install them what needs to be changed also switch boosters -master cilinder?

The only other thing that you will need from the parts car is the bracket for the rubber hose that bolts to the frame rail. When I did my swap I kept the original booster and 86 master. I just swapped the spindles/calipers. I made spacers for my original struts. I have had no issues in 10+ years.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

[QUOTE=Tigger;1941146]The only other thing that you will need from the parts car is the bracket for the rubber hose that bolts to the frame rail.

What if I don't have that bracket ? I'm doing the swap as well on my 79 Zephyr. Never got the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The only other thing that you will need from the parts car is the bracket for the rubber hose that bolts to the frame rail.
    What if I don't have that bracket ? I'm doing the swap as well on my 79 Zephyr. Never got the bracket.

It's just like all dual pipe Fords from the 1965 Mustang GT to date. You relocate the junction and use the dedicated flexible line. LMR provides it now I think. This is not an advert and I refuse to cite a price.

See https://youtu.be/NGv4nSYQ18U

And this is a how to do it on a car not born with the proper amount of cylinders and injectors.

See https://youtu.be/CdV_cgB_a1Q

Quote Originally Posted by Eastyorkstang View Post
    From what I remember the hose from the 11" caliper would not fit thru the frame rail bracket because the housing was bigger. The original hose connection body was smaller. At least that was the case for me. Originally I did not get them either, I let them go when I scrapped the car. I ended up having to run to the pick n pull to finish my swap. Lucky there was a 5.0 foxbody in there. Spindles were gone but the brackets were still there.

I just did the PBR swap on one of my SN95's. I grabbed the brackets from the donor car just in case something was different. I didn't end up needing them but I wanted to be sure what happened to the Saleen didn't happen again.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Thanks

I've done the front brake/spindle thing 3 times now. I just used a file to enlarge the opening of the frame bracket. Works great.