Close

Default 4180 carb question, 83 Mustang, no accel pump squirt

All original 83 GT 5.0, with the original 4180 carb. The car does not get cranked or driven but about every two weeks. You have to spin it over about 3-4 seconds two times before it will fire up. I checked the accelerator pump before I tried starting it, hit the throttle a couple of times and no fuel coming out of the squirter, also pushed down on the accelerator pump arm and no fuel from the squirter. After spinning the engine over, I it get fuel from the squirter and it finally fires up and runs perfect.

It acts like the fuel bowl is empty, but I have not seen any fuel leaking from the carb, looked at the fuel bowl screw gaskets, fuel bowl gaskets and the accelerator pump, but I do not see any leaks.

I have not pulled the fuel bowl sight plugs out before starting engine to see if there is fuel in the bowl or not.

Any thoughts or suggestions, something I have not thought about?

thanks,
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

Yup

What you don't know you don't know...it's a lot bigger than you think.

https://fordsix.com/proxy.php?image=...7537a286569b6f

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...15#post1941115

The 83 misses quite a few parts the 85 has, but most of the problems are due to physical build up within the carb. Before you set your hands to it, try to understand your Vacuum and Emissions Information for your 83. Most of the problems are not the set up of the car, but ignorance on what is actually wrong. Mike (WalkingTall) on this forum has got all the good information on how to fix the blockages in the 4180C carb.

you might have a fuel trasnfer pipe leak.

Read this too.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Carb-Questions

FEP Supporter

Sounds to me like the fuel is just evaporating out of the bowls. If it's boiling the fuel after shutting off that will contribute too. I wouldn't expect fuel to be in a bowl after 2 weeks of sitting outside or in a regular old Florida garage for that matter.
    '85 GT

I had a 4180C that sat for a very long time (longer than two weeks) and the float needle and seats were stuck/sticking. Might be worth checking out as well.

I rigged up a temporary gravity feed fuel line with a funnel to see if the bowls were filling proper after I freed them up and replaced the o rings etc. I have heard the ethanol content in the fuel these days can corrupt the old original seals etc.

Default 4180 carb question, 83 Mustang, no accel pump squirt

I’ve had the same problem before and after I rebuilt the 4180C carb. I usually have to spin the engine at least 10 seconds and pump 5-6 times to get it to fire if I’ve let the car sit more than a couple of days. I’m pretty sure these cars were easier to start when new. I’ll have to research xctasey’s post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I finally solved my carb issues!

The accelerator pump diaphragm was leaking, it had a slow leak that would drain the fuel bowl when the car sat for over a week. I felt under the accelerator pump housing with the engine running and it was wet. Pulled the carb and found the two back accelerator pump housing screws were loose. I went ahead and replaced the diaphragm.

The carb has been rebuilt by a previous owner, the mixture adjustment screw caps in the base plate had already been removed. Out of curiosity I checked to see how many turns out the mixture screws were, passenger side was 2 full turns out and the driver side was a 1/4 turn out from seated? I went ahead and set both sides at 1.5 turns out as a baseline before I put carb back on. After I let it warm up and the choke had fully opened, it sounded great, it has never idled that smooth, it has always sounded like it had a small cam in it.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I remember when I bought my car back in 2010, it had a nasty carb leak. Fuel would collect in one area of the intake. Possibly carb gaskets rotted-out from all that "new" Ethanol gas. Jeff Cook (JACook) is well-versed with these carbs, if you have any other trouble you might PM him directly.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-05-2022 at 12:38 PM. Reason: info added