Close

Default Dash pad replacement what's the latest opinion please

I am looking for a good replacement grey dash for my 85 GT.

So I did a search and found this thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Gen-3-Dash-Pad

It's a little older but I want to make sure I have understood it correctly. Seems the Scott Drake one is the best out of all the options - https://www.americanmuscle.com/charcoal-dash-pad.html from what I read. Correct?

I have had a dashes direct dash pad and thought it was pretty good but a little floppy (for lack of better word).

So sorry to rehash an old subject but I just need to know my best avenue.

Thank you,
    Drew

The best replacement dash pad I have installed as of yet is this one ( I believe! ). https://dashesdirect.com/product/197...tion-dash-pad/

It was a Dashes Direct and it was the the more expensive unit. The Urethane unit was CRAP! It had more waves than most beaches. Fit was terrible and it was heavy as HECK! The good Dashes Direct had a Fiberglass/Plastic core with foam and then wrapped in Vinyl almost identical to the OEM dash pad.

The Scott Drake unit https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04282AD/mus...on-black-79-86 says it has a metal core and foam reinforced, but the Molded Urethane construction gives me reasons to be concerned. It might just fine and save you a few dollars, but the previous dash pads that were made with/out of urethane were all heavy, wavy, and didn't fit well at all.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

I thought the last one I bought was the newer Dashes Direct. It had a sheet metal frame that was poorly aligned. I did a write up here someplace. Got it from Summit I believe. Not much meat on it to support the screws.

My next one will be a reskinned original.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Yeah, if you have the "floppy" dash pad, that's the less expensive urethane unit. I mistakenly bought one on eBay from a seller claiming it to be OEM. I got my money back, but he didn't want the pad back either. I still have it in the box in the garage. I haven't decided what to do with it. It's heavy, floppy and will sag if it was installed.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Thank you Trey.

You're right that dashes direct is an expensive piece.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The best replacement dash pad I have installed as of yet is this one ( I believe! ). https://dashesdirect.com/product/197...tion-dash-pad/

It was a Dashes Direct and it was the the more expensive unit. The Urethane unit was CRAP! It had more waves than most beaches. Fit was terrible and it was heavy as HECK! The good Dashes Direct had a Fiberglass/Plastic core with foam and then wrapped in Vinyl almost identical to the OEM dash pad.

The Scott Drake unit https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04282AD/mus...on-black-79-86 says it has a metal core and foam reinforced, but the Molded Urethane construction gives me reasons to be concerned. It might just fine and save you a few dollars, but the previous dash pads that were made with/out of urethane were all heavy, wavy, and didn't fit well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    Thank you Trey.

You're right that dashes direct is an expensive piece.
    I don't disagree that its expensive, but as usual you get what you pay for. Unfortunately the dash pad is such a visible part in the interior, that IMHO it's not worth cheaping out on the pad. The other pads fit so poorly and are so wavy that you will HATE it. My thought process is that I will either use the hard plastic silicone on cap (used to be around $80 now its $125+) if I don't want to spend the big bucks. It fits pretty well, most people will never notice and it saves $$. Otherwise your options are the Dashes Direct with the core and vinyl wrapped or a refurbished OEM pad that is @ $600+.

Here is the Dashes Direct at a slightly better price. https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../173392/150502

Here is another brand that I believe we used on the Saleen clone. Color was WAY OFF, but the overall fit and finish was pretty good. Had to drill a couple of the mounting holes, but overall not a bad choice if you want to save the extra $60+ https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../181637/150502 Again this was @3 years ago, so no idea what if any changes or improvements that may have or many not have been made. Order at your own risk. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

I've just done the cap that last couple of times. I had a version 2 of the dashes direct pad. It was floppy and wavy. That made me go with the caps. The newer versions might be better now.

Drew, let us know which direction you take and your input on the product.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

FEP Power Member

There can't be that many versions out there. I'm thinking 3 and one of them is probably not being made any more. Just guess.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    There can't be that many versions out there. I'm thinking 3 and one of them is probably not being made any more. Just guess.
    I believe there are at least 3 versions right now. Just Dashes offers two different versions and then there is at least one more that is made by someone else. That might be the Scott Drake version, but I am not 100%. I will probably have to get a new dash pad for my 82 GT, so I will most likely go with the expensive Just Dashes since my interior is black. I either won't have to dye it or at least it will already be close in color. My PC has the cap on it, will need a new pad for my 82 RS dyed Wedgewood Blue, and my SVO has a very nice OEM pad that hopefully stays that way.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FWIW: Instagram ad from @dashesdirect "Labor Day Sale 20% off storewide ends 9/7"

Mike

The pictures on line look like most of them are poorly constructed with floppy / wavy leading edge (the edge you look at when you're driving the car). For the money, I'd just go with a plastic cover.
    My SVO needs a dash pad. I've been holding out for a while now, but eventually I think I'm going with the cover again (used one in a previous car). My $0.02
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    The pictures on line look like most of them are poorly constructed with floppy / wavy leading edge (the edge you look at when you're driving the car). For the money, I'd just go with a plastic cover.
    My SVO needs a dash pad. I've been holding out for a while now, but eventually I think I'm going with the cover again (used one in a previous car). My $0.02
    Agreed, but I will say on the Dashes Direct website if you look closely you can see they used the exact same picture for both dash pads offered. I will guarantee the picture is of the urethane wavy/floppy one and not the vinyl covered with a core. The Dashes Direct vinyl was not perfect, but it was not wavy and we were able to get a good fit using the pad. Actually installed them in two different Mustangs and both worked out just fine. Little TLC here and there, tweaking, etc and they fit pretty well and looked good. Just my $.02
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Will do Mike, I will look into the caps as well. There was actually one on the car when I bought and it took me a while to realize.

Thanks for everyone's input, I will post when I have figured it out.

Thanks, Drew

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    I've just done the cap that last couple of times. I had a version 2 of the dashes direct pad. It was floppy and wavy. That made me go with the caps. The newer versions might be better now.

Drew, let us know which direction you take and your input on the product.

I did the cap from CJ Pony. Just left it black and very happy with it.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Senior Member

I just ordered my 2nd Dashes Direct dash pad from NPD. I had a black one in my '80 coupe, which was good. The fit was good and I never had any problems with it. I just received a Dark Charcoal version this week for my '86 project. I haven't installed it, but I have laid it on the dash to check the fit. Everything looks good and won't need a lot of work to make it fit well. They get my vote, and I'd buy another in the future based on the two I have had thus far.