Hi. I am David, and new to this site. I retired from being a General Manager of a large Ford Dealership. Having been around Fords for my entire tenure in the Automotive world, I have an affinity to Fords in general. Over the years I have owned some great cars and trucks. I joined FourEyedPride because I was looking for some information. (Found it By The Way!)

My dilemma is this, during Hot August Nights here in Reno, Nevada, I attended an auction. (I told myself NOT to get a bidders badge) That obviously DIDN'T happen because I asked myself "What If Something Great Is In There"? Well.... then it happened. 5th car of the sale as it was just kicking off, a 1984 Mercury Marquis Station Wagon rolled up on the block. Like I said, the auction had just begun and the Non High Dollar cars get things warmed up. Well, I knew this car was special, so as it was approaching the block, I performed a quick cursory inspection, and I was ANYTHING but disappointed.

3.8L V6
Auto
A/C (Still Blows Ice Cold)
Beige Paint (Original)
Wood-grain Vinyl
Pwr Windows
Pwr Locks
Pwr Split Seats
Remote Fuel Door
Cornering Lights
Dual Function Liftgate
AM/FM Cassette (Still Plays)
Roof Luggage Rack
Rear Defroster
Wire Wheel Covers
White Wall Tires
Speed Control
Tilt Leather Wrapped Steering wheel

This car came out of a gentleman's Estate out of California, where it was sold new and remained her entire life. According to the children who were representing the car, their father loved this station wagon. It never spent a night out in the elements, and they told me that eating and drinking in the car was "Strictly Forbidden". To say the least, she is AMAZING in her condition. I will include a link to the original "Auction Catalog" so you can see pictures of her. Well.... I was smitten. But I didn't need or want anymore cars, but alas, she flew well below the radar of the buyers that were just getting to the auction. Yup.... I stole her. IMHO anyway.

Now, with all of THAT having been said, I have owned and always loved the 1984-1985 LTD LX 5.0L cars. (Even Though when they were new, the CFI systems were cantankerous at best)

So my INITIAL knee Jerk response to myself even before I started bidding was: Make Her V8 in sheep's clothing. Starting out with a Great Car leads to Great Results. (Not having to spend money on appearance, rust, interior etc.... lets me focus on the actual modifications.

But as I sit here now, I am seriously conflicted. Do I leave her alone? The 3.8L idles and performs flawlessly. I "Want" to drop in a Small Block 427.... and have even considered a 5.0L Coyote. The 427 to Me is more appealing visually due to the fact that I can make her look like a "Factory 5.0L by using all factory engine accessories, etc... But the Coyote is obviously a nice choice as well.

I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not I should do NOTHING? Or?

Here is the link for the pics. I promised.

https://www.motorsportauctiongroup.c...am-Woody-Wagon

I will take pics when she is back from the shop having her headliner reaffixed to the hard board as there were spots where it was starting to sag a bit.