Close

Default Horn wiring harness/ac harness in engine bay?

My 85 GT is missing its horn. Wanting to get it all put back together. Looks like its supposed to be mounted in the drivers side front fender area. The wiring harness in that area is still intact, just everything that is not being used was disconnected and ziptied up. Previous owner was going to make a race car, luckily didnt cut anything, just unhooked it all. I guess im asking what harness connector is for the horn? Also if anyone knows what connectors are for the air conditioning also that would be great. Thanks
    Last edited by rynb15; 08-28-2021 at 08:49 AM.

What year and model you are working on will probably improve the responses you get since Ford did make changes throughout the Fox production.

The horn wiring should be a black terminal that just slides over the exposed male spade terminal on the horn.

The A/C wiring generally comes off the low pressure switch on the accumulator and goes to the compressor. The compressor pigtail is generally black flat type connector with a clip on one side. https://www.foxresto.com/1979-93-Mus...-p/4979009.htm
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

updated post. 85 gt Thanks for the reply. So on the ac, a wire runs to the accumulator and then a wire from there goes to the compressor?

So i have been reading up on this all day. I found the low pressure switch connector. Does the wire that runs to the compressor come out of the harness on the firewall? Like the wire would run down the intake manifold to get to the compressor? Also It seems there is a wot cut off switch. I have a couple other empty connectors on the firewall harness just hanging there. Would this be in that area as well?

The wiring for the low pressure switch should come through the firewall on the passenger side and attach to the switch on the accumulator. That pigtail should have a wire that runs over to the compressor. I haven't had an 85 GT in many years so I don't remember exactly how it lays out, but as you stated there should be a WOT switch that is interconnected to the low pressure switch and the compressor. I believe it runs along the firewall at the back of the engine and then comes up to the carburetor and the along the DS valve cover to the compressor.

Most of the pigtails on the engine and in the engine bay are specific and will only fit one switch, connector, etc. So that can often help to determine and find the proper wiring. Also pictures are much easier to work with than descriptions, so often posting a picture of the pigtails/wiring harness will help us to determine which pigtails you are looking for. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ok so in the first picture im pretty sure I have circled the accumulator switch connector. Second pic what I have circled I think is the connection to the compressor. Also have several other empty harness ends.

Name:  111111.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  56.6 KB
    Name:  22222222222.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  40.6 KB

The first connector appears to be the low pressure switch on the accumulator pigtail.

The second picture the circled pigtail doesn't look like the A/C pigtail to me. That appears to plug into another pigtail to make a connection. The A/C pigtail should have a clip on one end of it to hold it in the A/C clutch. I believe it should look like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16181365777...8AAOxygo9Q7eBw Fox Resto used to offer an Engine harness for the 85 GT models, but I don't see it on their site at this time. I can't remember if the A/C wiring was part of that harness or separate.

DANG! I just found an archived webpage and the A/C pigtail is on the engine harness that Fox Resto doesn't appear to currently offer. Here is the archived link. https://web.archive.org/web/20170512...-p/4785002.htm If you look at the upper right hand corner of the picture you will see the A/C clutch pigtail. The pigtails in the lower left corner of the pictures would connect to several of the pigtails in your second picture such as the black connector and the 8 pin grey connector. Sorry I can't be more help than that right now.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

thanks for your help. Ya it looks like im missing quit a bit. I dont feel like choppinging up the harness. Might just hold off on the ac. I dont drive the car much, so ill survive with out it. I was just thinking if it would be a quick and easy install i would go for it.