Close

Default 1985 Message Center bypass

Hello,

So I am in the process of doing a FITECH injection conversion and I removed the factory message center as I felt I wouldn't need it. Now I get zero power to any of my accessories. Battery is showing 12V but I don't even get the key buzz.

I am assuming I cannot remove the Message Center or there are some wires I need to junction now that it is removed?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

You can remove the message center. I did it on my 85. Maybe you shorted something?

Buying or selling outside of the classifieds is not allowed. Post have been removed.

Okay looking like I might be shorted somewhere...So swapped batteries with a known good one and still have the issue.

What happens is this:
    hook up battery, key inserted...get key buss indicator. Can turn to ACC and have working lights, etc... As soon as I crank, everything dies like a relay is getting tripped and I cannot "un-trip" it.
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

When removing messaging center did cut wires or just un plug, if cut try taping off bare wire and check fuses. I remove my 86 message gauges with no problems, but just un hooked .I installed aftermarket guages for oil and temp

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

All the power when turning the key to ACC or run/start goes through the ignition switch on the lower steering column. No relays for the gauges, just a voltage regulator in the instrument cluster. If it works in ACC position, it should work in run or start. Check to see if the ignition switch isn't coming apart.