Close

LqDFx

Default 86 to 87-93 Door Panel Mod

Looks like I found the mustang that I am getting. It is an 86 GT. The only thing that I do not like about it is the interior door panels. I can not stand having the door locks on the bottom of the door! I had one once before and I kept locking my keys in the car when I got out since I would hit the switch!

Is it possible to install the interior panels from the 87-93 doors on a 86? The car has power windows and locks. Will the newer button panel link up with some modifications and the panel just go right on? Or maybe I just need the arm rest with the button panel?

Also, any links to get the parts I may need... I was thinking of going to the junk yards this summer and getting the parts. Changing the interior from "pimp" red to grey... alot of work, but worth it!

If you want Plug-n-Play, get '87-'93 vintage:

door panels
    arms rests
    switch assemblies
    wiring harnesses

Remove old arm rests, door panels (including switches), arm rest clips, and wiring harnesses (unplug from power lock actuator, power window motor, and connector inside kick panel). Discard everything except arm rest bolts.

Install new harness and connect all ends (except for speaker and power mirror connectors). Mock-up door panel (don't plug in switches yet) and scribe, punch, or mark holes to be drilled for arm rest bolts and speaker grill screw. Remove door panel and drill appropriate sized holes. Attach door panel to door.

If you don't want Plug-n-Play and would rather cut, splice, crimp, and or solder the existing harness to the new switch assemblies, which wire goes where is up to you or someone else to figure out.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

LqDFx

Thanks for the info! I am looking on Mustang Proformance Parts for the Parts nessecary to do the conversion.

When I do it, I will put the new digital camea to good use and take pictures and post a "How I did it" along with the part numbers and site to get them in the forms. That way, any one else that wants the info can get it.

FEP Senior Member

You know... things like this need to be in a Tech Section of FEP... That way good info can be found easily... There's been some really good information go thru here lately...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Be aware there were three different shades of gray for the '87 through '93 model years....

Smoke - '87-'89
    Titanium - '90-'92
    Opal Gray - '93
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I did it on mine and just matched the wires into the connector. the other problems were that the armrest bolt holes are a couple of inches off and need to be re-cut, pretty easy with a dremel and cutting wheel. Then the 886 doors themselves do not have the speaker opening cut into them. Once again pulll out the old dremel or even a jigsaw.
    Black 86 GT W/T-Tops, 306, full flows, Pony's new Ram clutch, HDT-5 & Aluminum Driveshaft.

Hmm, I took the complete door panels, switches and wiring and it was plug and play at the connector in the kick panel. And everything just lined up on my 85. 86 should be the same.
    '85 GT 4 time feature car
    '86 GT sold
    '88 GT pretty dang original
    '85 GT project

Arm rest bolts don't go into the door in the same location. And the speed clips can't be used unless you cut holes and or notches for them to fit into and sit correctly. Drilling holes into the door and bolting the armrests directly to the door instead of to the speed clips is easier.

There's also no hole (in the '79-'86 door) for the screw than goes through the ('87-'93 door panel's) speaker grill.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

It's been a few years, but I just popped out the plastic speed clip and moved it to the correct location. My t-top doors had the extra holes for the arm rest.
    I have added door speakers so I did work around the bottom area.
    '85 GT 4 time feature car
    '86 GT sold
    '88 GT pretty dang original
    '85 GT project