Close

Default Putting in a 5.0L EFI in my 79

Got a 302 EFI AOD on the weekend. Looking for websites, info on what I've got to do to swap it in my 79. Know the Kframe mechanical stuff. Looking for EFI knowledge.

Thanks in advance !

Get yourself an '86 GT wire harness. That will save you a ton of trouble.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

IMHO the easiest option is to use a harness from a company such as Ron Francis. The wiring will be new and not 40 years old, brittle, corroded, etc. You can do the preterminated kits that come as a harness https://www.ronfrancis.com/product/493 You will have to locate the ECM under the dash or modify the passenger kit panel for enough room. The other option is the Telorvek system that will allow you to remote mount the ECM and the Telorvek junction block under the front seat or even the rear seat if you are so inclined. https://www.ronfrancis.com/product/489

I recently installed the Telorvek system in my 1986 Bronco to convert the 5.0 to MAF after the stock computer burnt up. The instructions are detailed and thorough. It is time consuming with all the wiring, but not difficult. It allowed me to remote mount the unit under the driver seat with the computer in the center console (custom built). I was able to run the engine wiring through existing holes in the firewall and route everything where I needed it. I will now be making the change to a 351W EFI setup since the 5.0 thrust bearing decided to take a vacation. Before that the vehicle ran like a top and actually improved MPG compared to the original ECM. I am running an A9L out of an Aero Mustang for the MAF.

Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Why is this ?

I will respectfully disagree with this advice. Especially if you have a MAF 5.0. If using the 86 harness you will still have to convert to MAF otherwise you need the SD computer.

If you wanted to use an OEM harness, the 86 is the best and easiest to adapt to the earlier 4 Eyed cars compared to the Aero harness, but you really don't need the OEM harness and as I stated above, there is little reason to use a 30+ year wiring harness when the aftermarket has what you need at a reasonable price. If you have never done the swap before the Ron Francis kit will walk you through the process and save you a ton of time and headaches, IMHO. If you have an OEM harness and want to make the swap, then go for it! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Especially if you have a MAF 5.0.
    Does he/she? Does OP need smog components working?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

What vehicle is it from? Or do you have the whole vehicle?
    Tons of choices from high dollar kits as mentioned to using factory pieces, all depends on what you have and what you want to do.
    SD gives great performance if you are not making a bunch of mods and just want to drive reliably.
    Little more details would help with suggestions.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

I will respectfully disagree with this advice.
    HOW DARE YOU.

I mean, yeah if you can afford it, get a brand new harness. My harness is the only old part left on my build but I would love to have a new one. I bought a Ron Francis manual trans conversion harness for mine and it's really nice.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

HOW DARE YOU.

I mean, yeah if you can afford it, get a brand new harness. My harness is the only old part left on my build but I would love to have a new one. I bought a Ron Francis manual trans conversion harness for mine and it's really nice.
    I am sorry! My disagreement has more to do with availability and condition at this point in time than anything. I love to save $$ where I can, but I have realized as I get a bit older that my time is very valuable and often spending some money up front saves me a ton of time and headaches in the long run. Also I really hate trouble shooting wiring issues.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I am sorry! My disagreement has more to do with availability and condition at this point in time than anything. I love to save $$ where I can, but I have realized as I get a bit older that my time is very valuable and often spending some money up front saves me a ton of time and headaches in the long run. Also I really hate trouble shooting wiring issues.
    Absolutely true. I've done that with many other things.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Pulled everything from an 89 5.0L Mustang. Every last nut, bolt, wire and sensors. It’s going in a 1979 Zephyr with a 3.3 straight 6.
    Have more time then money. Think it’ll be a challenge to install the EFI.
    Not the first engine swap. But the first time installing EFI.
    Don’t mind using the old wire harness. I’ve got time to figure things out. Have other vintage cars to drive while working on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastyorkstang View Post
    Pulled everything from an 89 5.0L Mustang. Every last nut, bolt, wire and sensors. It’s going in a 1979 Zephyr with a 3.3 straight 6.
    Don’t mind using the old wire harness. I’ve got time to figure things out. Have other vintage cars to drive while working on this one.
    I did almost that exact thing. If I can do it, you can do it.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by Eastyorkstang View Post
    I think the inline 6 K member is different than the V8.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

New User

How's the build coming along?

I'm about to do the same with my 84 notchback v6 tbi, i have a complete running 90 gt convertible. I want to swap everything (engine, trans, dash, interior, suspension, fuel system, ect) Would i need to swap out the body harness as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    I think the inline 6 K member is different than the V8.
    Just cut the first four inches off with a cut off wheel. Not a big issue. Way to go Rad Brad...fixed that Six...

If you have the money and plan to do modifications later on look into a holley terminator x system of something along those lines, they come with a brand new engine harness as well as a stand alone ecm so you can play if/when you see fit.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!