Close

Default Unusual Spark Plug Fouling

When checking on the old spark plugs removed from engine (1983 5.0) I discovered that spark plugs 1,2,5,6 are really sooty while 3,4,7,8 are a little too clean. Looked around internet and couldn't find much. Have any of yall ran into this or have a possible explination?

The engine is mostly stock except from carburetor (holley, 80457-13 written on choke) up and no egr spacer and valve.

Spark plugs 2(sooty) and 7(clean) shown

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The sooty plugs could just be due to ignition problems, such as bad plug wires.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

That would be my guess, too. Also make SURE the wires are FULLY seated on plug and dizzy.
    Worst case - do a compression test if wires are not the issue. If those cylinders are not sealing as well (valves/rings) then it may not be fully burning either.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Along with the sparkplugs i changed them with new wires. I'll update this thread when I inspect the spark plugs again. I'm still baffled and the stark contrast and the particular set of cylinders afected.

FEP Senior Member

sounds like intake gasket leaks or base gasket under carb. The front plugs rich, rear plugs lean. If you have the stock carb, could be idle jets need adjusted.

This is amazing thanks for sharing this post I have become a fan of your post now. This post is so interesting and informative.

Is the intake dual plane?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

The intake is the stock aluminum dual plane. I have checked for manifold and carb base leaks before and found none.

I assume the planes don't map to your groups of foul plugs?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

That is true. The difference is front half back half not left bank right bank.

wonder if there's a fuel atomization problem with the carb spoiling the party

I would make sure everything is completely clean.

Also that there isn't a vacuum leak where the carb seals to the intake.

Introduce a leak and all bets are off.

Seems to me I fought this once because of a brake booster. The stupid thing still worked OK, but it leaked enough to cause problems.

Hi there, I have similar issue, front 4 plugs clean rear 4 sooty! Did you resolve your problem and how ? Thanks Bob

You say you have the stock factory 5.0 intake manifold.
    You mention that you’re not using the EGR cast iron carb spacer.
    Unless you’re using a special block off plate, there can be an exhaust leak at the carb base.
    The factory manifold has a weird design that uses the EGR spacer to completely seal the intake system.
    This happened to me when I tried to remove it and use a standard holly carb spacer.
    This could be a source of your problem.

I would also hook a vacuum gauge up and see what the engine is doing.
    The Vacuum readings will help eliminate other problems such as bad valves etc.
    As previously stated, you might “just” need a mixture adjustment, an a vacuum gauge is the best tool for the job,
    Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.