Close

Default Am I missing a piece for the rear end weight?

After having an 8.8 rebuild, I was thinking of putting the weight (dog bone) back on to see if it helped with vibration. All I have is similar to what is pictured here. My question is: Am I missing some sort of rubber grommet that fits into the triangular area? It seems weird that it would just be metal on metal there. I can't seem to find any great google images to help illustrate.

Also, any ideas on rough torque specs?Name:  RearEndWeight.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  18.7 KB

Thanks.

Most everyone removes those with no issues. If you have a vibration then something else is likely the cause. I do not have the answer to your question though. Sorry. I don't know what all is supposed to be there. Since you start off by saying you "just had an 8.8 rebuilt" I believe I would start with what changed.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

The 7.5 version is different from the 8.8 The 7.5 version has 2 straps or arms. Not sure about details on the 8.8 . I have an NOS one in the box I can check. I think yours is good.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Looks complete. There should be rubber bushings in the lower part where the bolts run through.

I agree with the above posts. I believe you have all the parts and pieces. I have a refurbished one in a box out in the garage, but I would have to find it to post pictures. Unfortunately I am not sure what the torque specs would be. Most likely good and tight it fine. You can always check them again after driving for 50 miles or so to be sure. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Fwiw, I had a stubborn vibration after rebuild/re-gear and adding this dog bone didn't help one bit. I tried 2 different driveshafts with no luck. I finally took a stock driveshaft in to a good driveline shop and had it balanced. The guy told me it was only slightly out of balance and he wasn't sure it would fix my issue, but it did.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Power Member

I don't think the dampener is a fix for vibrations but more for harmonics maybe. GM put some in the rear body corners. Anyway driveshaft vibrations are often solved by lining up the yellow marks on the driveshaft with the yellow mark on the yoke.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Senior Member

A bad trans mount will cause a bad vibration too. I had one that was too soft from age. Felt like the engine was out of balance. Is the vibration speed related or engine rpm only?

Are your u joints new? I had vibration at 60 and I quickly figured out it was a shot u joint.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.