Close

Default I'm genuinely frustrated...

I never knew when I bought a low mileage, all original car that when the time came to try and sell it, nobody wants it.

I've been trying to sell my 1983 GLX all summer and no matter where I place an ad, including this website, all I get is crickets. Not one question, no attempts to negotiate price, nothing. On FB, I put up 5 separate ads in the Mustang community... I got plenty of likes, but again...crickets. I get that most people want a 5.0 with manual transmission, but surely there should be some value in an all original car. Dennis Collins sold one just like mine for 9 thousand dollars at Barrett-Jackson. The only difference between his and mine is that mine has 26,000 mikes and his only had 9 thousand. I did research on pricing...everything from NADA to Ebay Motors just to make sure that I was un the middle when it came to pricing.

Can someone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Name:  IMG_20210508_190504.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  446.3 KB
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Last edited by 4-barrel Mike; 08-15-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Mike -

Yes, that was the ad I posted back in April. As you can see, only one response that falls under a "like".
    Bryan

It is a nice looking fox. I think the problem is that originality isn't as big of a selling point on a v6/auto car. Most fox enthusiasts picture an ideal car being a v8 or 4 cyl turbo. Paying a premium for being all-original doesn't sound that great when you're stuck with a car that doesn't have the excitement of a sporty drive train. Of course you could always swap in a v8 and t5, but that just destroys the originality that you just paid for.

Having said that, a buyer will probably come along, but the type of buyer you need isn't nearly as common. It doesn't seem overpriced, considering the condition and low mileage. You could open it up to more potential buyers by lowering the price or you could wait for the right buyer to come along. Another option would be to accept possible trades. Some people find it easier to part with property as opposed to hard cash. This is all just my opinion, so others might see this differently.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Power Member

Bryan

Methods of communication is very important. People are not going waste a lot of time trying to reach you. I have not seen a for sale add but I have not looked. I have attempted to contact you in several FB conversations when I thought you hinted about selling. I also emailed you directly and your emails are filtered. My interest has faded.

For the most part, interest is limited on 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs as there are so many 5.0s available. I wish you luck with the sale.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Bryan

Methods of communication is very important. People are not going waste a lot of time trying to reach you. I have not seen a for sale add but I have not looked. I have attempted to contact you in several FB conversations when I thought you hinted about selling. I also emailed you directly and your emails are filtered. My interest has faded.

For the most part, interest is limited on 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs as there are so many 5.0s available. I wish you luck with the sale.
    Kevin - since we are friends on FB, I don't understand why I was never aware that you were trying to message me. As for my email, we communicated rather easily by email when I sold that bunch of parts to you last summer. Yes, my email is filtered, but only against emails that aren't in my address book for email.

By the way, I would like to thank a fellow FEP forum member who privately messaged me with some useful advice on writing car sale ads. That's the most useful advice that I've received to date. I also ran across a local classic car dealership right here in Citrus Heights. I sent them an email asking them if they would be interested in buying the Mustang. They're not open on weekends, but I did get a confirmation that they received my message, so I'll be interested in seeing what they have to say. I was also told of a dealership in Roseville that specializes with buying and selling low mileage classics. I'll be contacting them as well.

Yes, I realize that car dealerships aren't the best bet, but with used car prices on the rise and inventory at a premium, you never know unless you try.
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

Have you thought about listing it on Bring A Trailer?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Have you thought about listing it on Bring A Trailer?
    Not yet, but I'll look into it. I just posted my very first Craigslist ad for the GLX last night. The first dealership wasn't interested, but I emailed another on last night. I'm gonna sell this car somehow. There's got to be someone that appreciates an all original survivor like mine.
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

I have no love for dealerships of any sort. Late model used cars are hot right now. Not sure a dealer would be interested in your car and if they are they'll try to get it for next to nothing. I really think BAT would be a great venue for you to sell your car on. It's like a more legitimate version of an ebay auction. You can get good exposure and we've all seen cars go for some crazy prices in the last year or so.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Just my two cents...There are differences between your car and the one sold at Barrett-Jackson. First, it's an auction. On a different day, it could have sold for more, or it could have sold for less. What was paid doesn't indicate true value; only what someone was willing to pay. Second, people pay a premium simply because they're buying a car at Barrett-Jackson. Third, Dennis Collins is a celebrity. ANY car he sells will bring more money just because someone can brag they bought a car from Dennis Collins. And Barrett-Jackson. Third, it has all documentation from day one. Does yours? Fourth, most people would buy your car for the body and interior. To make it fun by today's standards, the engine and trans need to be swapped, 5-lug conversion, gears, you name it. That will cost THOUSANDS. Fifth, NADA shows $6150 high retail. "Blue book" values are debatable...it's more what someone is willing to pay. I am NOT trying to rain on your parade, just trying to give you some insight. You will either have wait for that one buyer out of a few who want to keep it as-is (a survivor car) or come down in price. Have you tried Classic Car Trader?

New User

Nice car!

FEP Power Member

Default Car

Quote Originally Posted by dapetik View Post
    Nice car!
    Yes, it was a nice car. I saw it both times I met with Bryan several times after buying his 84 GT Turbo vert. I tried to buy this one as well for a friend. After all his posts, etc. he did not have the title in hand, so I waited. Unfortunately, he got very ill and passed away. The car was in the hands of his family. Not sure what happened after that. No one followed up with me after sending my condolences.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I remember when 'Gemini'/Bryan first joined Four Eyed Pride. I also remember when he purchased the Turbo GT. Several years later, I walked him through how to sell the LX, but I think he was getting disillusioned with the whole process. Poor guy RIP
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-09-2023 at 10:51 AM. Reason: text added

FEP User

Is it possible a buyer is more interested that the car is a convertible , more than the Fox body part . If yes then maybe compare prices with other convertible cars in that size range. Every time we turn on the TV or radio they are talking about the cost of fuel , emissions from cars , electric cars etc. So sounds like Fox body car owners or buyers are not satisfied with a fuel efficient engine , they want a sporty drive train. Is that not like having a GM car with a big block engine . So the owner can spin the tires .
    Our car has an i6 , original owner , car gets us around just fine .

As everyone knows there is a power loss with an automatic trans , a standard trans transfers more HP to the back wheels and would make the car have a more sporty feel and even more fuel efficient . Question did that V6 engine have the option of a standard transmission . Or would that change the car to much ?
    Question does a convertible Fox body car weight more than a hard top roof car .

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1981 Capri View Post
    Is it possible a buyer is more interested that the car is a convertible , more than the Fox body part . If yes then maybe compare prices with other convertible cars in that size range. Every time we turn on the TV or radio they are talking about the cost of fuel , emissions from cars , electric cars etc. So sounds like Fox body car owners or buyers are not satisfied with a fuel efficient engine , they want a sporty drive train. Is that not like having a GM car with a big block engine . So the owner can spin the tires .
    Our car has an i6 , original owner , car gets us around just fine .

As everyone knows there is a power loss with an automatic trans , a standard trans transfers more HP to the back wheels and would make the car have a more sporty feel and even more fuel efficient . Question did that V6 engine have the option of a standard transmission . Or would that change the car to much ?
    Question does a convertible Fox body car weight more than a hard top roof car .

I suggested to Gemini that he should have the windows Tinted(a very popular upgrade on the West Coast and looks really good). If you never liked Tint just remember; you always think of the 'bad' tint jobs, but never the good ones. I think it would be very easy to get from $5500-6500 for that car, especially with Tint and some additional detail work, in Hemmings Motor News.

Unfortunately, during the Fox era, Ford never offered a stick behind the V6, Automatic only. I know for sure the 5 speed was available with the V6 during the '99-'04 era, and maybe even '94-'98, but never during the Fox era.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-12-2023 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp.

FEP Power Member

People think these cars are worth a lot until they realize its a v6. Then they quickly learn the value is not there. $5500-6500 was the going price and probably still is. I have seen the car and was aware of some of the issues. I offered him $5000. but negotiations stalled when he did not have the title in hand. He had the car up for sale maybe a year (thus his frustrations). Lesson learned, have your paperwork in order if you are intent on selling. These are not easy sells so avoid the roadblocks.

Once, I found out he was ill, I did not press the issue. He knew how to reach me and I was only 1.5 hours away.