Close

Default Roofline and windshield/hatch molding questions

Hey folks, Couple questions about the above moldings.
    First the roofline/pinch weld molding above the door; what is the goop that is inside the molding that helps seal it to the pinch weld? Is it rope caulking or something else and a brand / part# would be helpful!
    Inside the windshield and rear hatch moldings I found some long plastic strips, much of which had deteriorated making them not reusable. Does anyone have a source for these? Any help is much appreciated!

The black stuff is generally butyl tape/sealant. It's there to try and prevent water from getting inside the trim and ultimately dripping on you as you get in and out of the vehicle.

The plastic strips, I can't help much on. I have seen them too. If they are in good shape, I leave them, if not I remove them. Haven't really noticed a difference either way. My guess is either they were used in production of the trim or were there to prevent metal on metal between the windshield clips and the metal trim.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller