Close

Default Oil Pan and Timing Cover Gasket Recommendations

So apparently, I didn't do a very good job when I replaced the timing cover gasket - it still leaks. And, as a bonus, oil now leaks too.

This time I'm going to replace the questionable items - like the pitted surfaces on the timing cover and use the oil pan rails found in the later 5.0 mustangs.

So these are my questions;
    1. I plan to get a replacement timing cover, probably from LMR for $50 or so. Is there a better one to get?
    2. For the oil pan gasket, I think Ford Motorsport sells a 1 piece rubber with metal reinforcements. Is there a better one to get?
    3. For the timing cover gaskets, does any company make a beaded gasket or rubber with frame? Something that doesn't rely on silicone? Otherwise, I'll just try to do a better job cleaning etc.

It's never a fun job.

Thanks guys (and gals).

I bought an LMR cover. Works fine.
    Paper gasket with a thin film of rtv and zero leaks ever, I've probably changed 7 or 8 of them over the years.
    The one piece motorsport gasket is excellent! A dab of RTV at the corners where it goes from flat to round. Again, never had a leak from it.
    Just use a good solvent for a final wile of the sealing surfaces.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 08-10-2021 at 10:04 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I generally use Fel-Pro gaskets in most of my builds and repairs. Very seldom have I had issues. I personally like the Fel Pro 1 piece oil pan gasket OS34508R and the timing cover gasket that is matches it is FEL-PRO TCS45450.

I still generally use a small bead of silicone on the front cover to hold the gasket in place and fill in any mild imperfections in the casting. The reinforcement rails for the oil pan are a great idea and do seem to help prevent oil leaks on the pan gasket. Oh and Permatex The Right Stuff is DA Bomb in regards to gasket makers. Pick the color you need depending on use and location. The Cheese Wiz dispenser is great if you need to use a lot of product. If not, get the regular tube as the cheese wiz can seems to clog up on me if I don't use all of it within a couple of days. I have tried all the options for preventing it from going bad, but generally no luck.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I had a lot of trouble getting mine to seal up until I found my original cover had a 60 thou warp when I checked it on my tablesaw. Probably did that when prying it off. I put the replacement on with the set that Wraith calls out. Put rtv on both sides to be sure. I was tired of having to change the oil every time. Working good now.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Thanks for the responses guys, LMR order is placed. Now comes the fun of replacing the oil pan gasket in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by twinturbohow View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, LMR order is placed. Now comes the fun of replacing the oil pan gasket in the car.
    PITA either way, but IMHO the easiest thing to do is drop the K member and then you have full access to the oil pan. You can use an engine hoist or an engine support bar https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...ne+support+bar to hold the engine in place with the K member out.

If you drill a couple of 1/8" holes thru the K member and into the frame rails on both sides they will positively locate the K member back into the original position saving you time having to align it. Use 1/8" rivets or the back side of 1/8" drill bits to locate the K member into the drilled holes and tighten in place. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller