Close

Default Quarter panel interior plastic issue

Hey all, so like 2 or 3 year ago I bought a set of quarter panel hatch plastics out of a 81 fox to replace the broken and cracked ones out of my 84 t-top. After finally getting them painted I went to install them and realized they dont really fit. The window area is not wide enough and leaves a big gap. Also the hole to mount the folding seats is not big enough to get the bolt in. There are also numerous holes missing to mount them. Not too happy as I remember being told that they would fit. Will also need to be cut because my car is a t-top and where the t-top meets the body the plastic extends to far. Anybody else ran into this problem? Pretty Frustrated right now.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The interior quarter panels will fit your vehicle, but there are differences in the panels. Essentially 79-82 and 83-86 are the breakdowns. The area around the arm rest changed in 1983. Some of the screw holes moved. As stated the bottom seat holes are slightly different due to the split fold down rear seat backs in 1983 compared to the solid 1 piece rear seat back. All quarter panels have to be modified for any T-top install, just like they were originally.

I have swapped the interior trim, back and forwards with different year model vehicles. It can all be made to work with some minor tweaking of the panels and/or screw holes. Even the late model panels fit the early cars again with some tweaks and adjustments. The most difficult ones are the 90-93 panels into the earlier cars when the top front seat belt mount moved on the B pillars. So not only do you have to drill the new hole in the panel, but fill the old one too. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The interior quarter panels will fit your vehicle, but there are differences in the panels. Essentially 79-82 and 83-86 are the breakdowns. The area around the arm rest changed in 1983. Some of the screw holes moved. As stated the bottom seat holes are slightly different due to the split fold down rear seat backs in 1983 compared to the solid 1 piece rear seat back. All quarter panels have to be modified for any T-top install, just like they were originally.

I have swapped the interior trim, back and forwards with different year model vehicles. It can all be made to work with some minor tweaking of the panels and/or screw holes. Even the late model panels fit the early cars again with some tweaks and adjustments. The most difficult ones are the 90-93 panels into the earlier cars when the top front seat belt mount moved on the B pillars. So not only do you have to drill the new hole in the panel, but fill the old one too. Good Luck!
    Ok thanks Trey, ya for the most part I think I can make them work the only part I really dont like is that they dont fit properly around the back window. The early panels are not wide enough which causes a big gap. Doesn't look very good imo.
    Name:  20210808_155427.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  625.3 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I will try and look at some of my panels. I have never noticed that area being any different with the Four Eye interior panels. The 87-93 panels are much deeper there, but that is due to the aero quarter panel windows being installed from the outside and not the inside as the Four Eyes were.

The clip that covered the split in the 79-82 panels is different than the 83-86 clip, but I believe I have actually swapped the clip from the later to the earlier with no major issues. So, I would think they are not that different in thickness in that area.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Just took a couple pics of each panel. First is 81 panel and second is 84
    Name:  20210808_173637.jpg
Size:  675.2 KB
    Name:  20210808_173509.jpg
Size:  374.3 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I just did the same. The issue with measuring there is the 79-82 panel has a angle to it where the 83-86 is curved. So take the measurements from the back side of the panel on its face. Here is what I got with a set of early 83 panels out of a Black Magic Capri. Unfortunately I don't have a spare set of 79-82 panels to take the same measurements.

Here is the quarter panel at the seat belt opening. You can see how I placed the end of the tape measure for reference.

Name:  1983 Quarter Panel.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  305.9 KB

Here is the window lip on the back side at the inner screw location

Name:  Quarter Panel at inner screw location.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  202.3 KB

Here is the window lip at the leading edge on the bottom of the window opening just behind the front door.

Name:  Quarter Panel at bottom of window front edge.jpg
Size:  177.8 KB

If you can measure at the same locations on your 82 panels, I think that will give a better idea of any differences.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Think I mimicked your photos. This is my 81 panel
    edit 2 and 3rd photos should be switched to match yours
    Name:  20210808_175915.jpg
Size:  415.0 KB
    Name:  20210808_175931.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  443.2 KB
    Name:  20210808_175945.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  372.9 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The only real difference I see is the seat belt slot. If looking at the 81 panel it appears there is additional panel towards the window that the 83 panel doesn't have. I probably should have measured directly off the backside of the "face" of the panel. Otherwise, I don't see any significant difference in depth or thickness between the two panels.

I don't recall 100% right now, but I seem to remember there being a metal bracket on the 79-82 cars for the quarter panels that the 83-86 didn't use. I might be wrong, but I do vaguely remember having to remove something on the body for the later panels (including the 87-93 panels) to sit properly on the interior. I wonder if that is what is pushing your panel away from the windows. Also make 100% sure you don't have a spare screw still in the body. I have done that before and couldn't figure out why the panel would not sit right. Between poor lighting and the screw being black on a black interior it was almost impossible to find. I actually found it by running my hand across the panel and finding it. (Do that carefully as they can be sharp! )

I know the panels will fit, since I have done it in several vehicles and other than the above mentioned issues they fit fine. The 87-93 require cutting the window area @3/4" back to sit properly, and have screw holes that have to be drilled, but they do work all the way from 79-86. I have even put 83-86 panels in an 87-93 body when the back half was used to repair a wrecked GT years ago. There has to be a reason why they are not sitting properly. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Looking at the back of the panel there is this sticking out. Not sure what it was for but maybe this is the issue?
    Name:  20210808_182522.jpg
Size:  497.4 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I do remember some of the interior panels having the door panel type Xmas tree clip that helped hold them onto the body, but I don't recall exactly what years those were. It's possible if the inner metal of the quarter panel area is not designed for the clip it could be forcing the panel away from the window, etc. Might be worth test fitting and looking for clearance issues behind the panel with it set in place. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I do remember some of the interior panels having the door panel type Xmas tree clip that helped hold them onto the body, but I don't recall exactly what years those were. It's possible if the inner metal of the quarter panel area is not designed for the clip it could be forcing the panel away from the window, etc. Might be worth test fitting and looking for clearance issues behind the panel with it set in place. Good Luck!
    Ok, ya I'm betting that's the issue. I will test fit again and see if I can spot the problem area. Will post again when I figure it out.

Thanks for all your help Trey, appreciate it!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

So when i got home from work i put the panel back in to see where it is hanging up and causing it not to sit against the window. From what I can see there is nothing on the backside of the panel that's stopping it. I honestly think it's because of that angle or something. Just doesnt fit right. The front pillar where the seat belt fastens bottoms out against the plastic and it's still a good inch away from window. I grabbed my only good 84 plastic and put it in and it fit fine so I'm not sure what's going on. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a good drivers side now. Too bad would of been cool to have a set of rare plastics with no speaker cutouts in my fox.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Is it possible that these panels are from a capri?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Is it possible that these panels are from a capri?
    Interior panels are the same between the Capri and Mustang. Even for the bubble back Capris. The only difference is the actual hatch and the trim directly on the bubble hatch.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Interior panels are the same between the Capri and Mustang. Even for the bubble back Capris. The only difference is the actual hatch and the trim directly on the bubble hatch.
    Ok, well I'm not sure what the problem is then. All I know is that they don't fit and I don't think its something I'm doing. Thanks for the help again Trey
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 08-10-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Ok, well I'm not sure what the problem is then. All I know is that they don't fit and I don't think its something I'm doing. Thanks for the help again Trey
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare set of early panels to test fit into say my 84 Capri to see if I can figure out why they might not be fitting. I would like to see what's going on myself. Its been awhile since I have done the swap that way. Most lately have been either swapping in the 83-86 panels into early cars or swapping the 87-93 panels into any Four Eyes.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Unfortunately I don't have a spare set of early panels to test fit into say my 84 Capri to see if I can figure out why they might not be fitting. I would like to see what's going on myself. Its been awhile since I have done the swap that way. Most lately have been either swapping in the 83-86 panels into early cars or swapping the 87-93 panels into any Four Eyes.
    Ya that's too bad because I would love to get your input on what's happening. I guess I could still put them in and live with the gap or maybe find something to fill it to make not look as bad. Not sure what to do
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Unfortunately the only good 79-82 panels I currently own are in my 79 Pace Car. The ones in my 82 RS were sun damaged and crumpled when I removed them. The same was true for the 82 GT interior panels. I will double check and see if I might have stored up in my small storage unit.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller