Close

Default Headliner Uncovered

ACME's take on their uncovered headliner includes the possibility, "Paint to match your vehicle's interior or cover in the material of your choosing"...

I'm tempted to just go with a painted headliner. My SVO has no headliner, so the backing is the least I would need.

Anyone tried this before?

I have not tried this, but at least IMHO not the best option to paint.

The new plastic backer boards are the most expensive part of a replacement headliner if you don't have the original backer board. Headliner material will cost you generally $50-75 plus in most cases one can of the 3M Super 90 adhesive at the big box store for $15 or less. Yes, paint will be cheaper, but not sure how well the paint will cover the plastic backer board and how well the backer board will hold up long term in regards to overall appearance.

Besides the sunvisor are going to look a bit out of place on the painted board IMHO and from my experience the boards are never a perfect fit to the vehicle, so there's a change you might have a gap or see an edge of the backer board when finished. I always leave at least an inch or more of extra headliner material over all the edges just to be safe and then trim as needed after test fitting the headliner to the car.

If you are trying to save $$ on the headliner replacement, if you can find an OEM backer board, even if it needs some minor repair that is the cheapest option. Others have made their own new boards using different options from Home Depot/Lowe's that can work just fine, but generally having the OEM board as a template is needed for best fitment. I personally just pulled an OEM backer board out of an 83 Capri that needs some repairs, but was still useable just so I can save the cash and not have to buy the new backer boards. Honestly they are heavy as heck and much harder to install than the OEM stuff. They work fine once they are installed, but not my first choice if I can avoid them. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Not interested in cloth, definitely not interested in cardboard.

Anyone tried using just paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Patina View Post
    Not interested in cloth, definitely not interested in cardboard.

Anyone tried using just paint?

Painting the plastic header board or painting the actual exposed inner roof?
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The suggestion came from the plastic header board manufacturer, ACME.

I've seen a number of modern cars with headliners that were just textured plastic. It can't be any worse than the bare metal and ragged strips of cloth that it is now.

Heck give it a try. The plastic backer boards I have personally installed appear to be some type of ABS plastic. Generally recommend you sand to give the glue a good surface to attach to when putting the headliner material on it. For just painting the board, I am sure with proper prep and the correct paint it will work. Not my personal taste, but to each is own. A quality interior paint like Color Bond might be your best option since it actually chemically bonds with the substrate and doesn't just sit on top of it. Definitely post up pictures of how things go. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Is interior noise a concern? I would think that the cloth headliner dampens a lot of noise that will be noticeable without it. Perhaps this is not the case?