Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could use prayers for dad

Dad is in end-of-life care at home. He has been battling ongoing, compound health problems. He had esophageal cancer a couple years ago and had most of his esophagus removed. His ability to swallow was diminished and has had repeated bouts of aspiration pneumonia. A couple months ago, he was diagnosed with a massive brain tumor and almost didn't make it. The dr said he was probably not strong enough to survive radiation, but they decided to try anyway. In retrospect, we should have left him alone. The radiation caused additional problems (infection in legs, was the worst of it). He finally made the difficult (conscious) decision to begin end-of-life care. This phase has been extremely difficult. He has been on morphine for a few years now. He's at the maximum dose of fentnyl, morphine, and a couple other drugs and his heightened tolerance has caused him to suffer terribly.

I'm sorry for the excessive details. I hadn't planned on mentioning anything, but have found myself becoming more and more desperate for help. So I'm asking anyone that feels inclined to please offer up a prayer for him. I can't put into words the amount of suffering he is experiencing. Mom and him decided home care would be the best option, but he doesn't have round-the-clock care from professionals... only me, mom, my sister and brother with a brief nurse visit once a day. So as you can see, we all are going through a very dark time and could use any prayers.

There's a good bunch of folks here in the forum. I was moved by the prayers for a recent loss experienced by another member here, so I figured I would mention it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Supporter

Really sorry to hear this. Sending prayers to your dad, you and your family to help get through this trying time. My father is still healthy right now and works hard every day on his farm. Although we do not have the strongest relationship, I appreciate every day we do still have together. Don't forget to take care of yourself during this time too.

Will do.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

You can count on me. My brother is an esophageal cancer survivor.
    Lot of life adjustments, like he had to install a lift in the barn to continue working on his drag cars.
    Prayers will commence right now.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Thought and prayers to you and your family. I can’t imagine what you are going through
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Prayers for you and your family. I lost my Mother in May after an extended 'end of life' stay in a rehab care facility. I can't imagine what you're experiencing caring for him yourselves. My heart goes out to you. God grant comfort and peace to your Father.

Thoughts are definitely with you! I was with both my parents in this manner. My mom was in our house for this last portion of her life.
    It's hard, but nice to be there and know they're cared for.
    In fact I was also with my uncle when he went but that was in his home in New Hampshire. Also esophageal - from a combo of smoking and Vietnam war exposure (he was a tunnel rat some of that time).
    Very tough, but so good to see them acknowledge you and their appreciation for what you (and your family) are doing. The last couple days when I spoke to him my uncle could only smile a bit, but he didn't have the strength to otherwise respond.
    What you're doing is very valuable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 07-19-2021 at 06:23 AM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Prayers for your Father, Mom and all of your Family will definitely go out... Stay strong, especially for your Mom... GOD bless you all..

As someone who has gone through similar struggles with my Dad over the last several years, my heart goes out to you and your family. I completely understand the pain, frustration, anger, and just general helplessness these struggles cause. I honestly ended up "venting" here from time to time as I had no where else to turn to and just had to get things off my chest and try to deal with them. The help provided by FEP members and friends was amazing and helped me immensely during all those times. Everyone here was extremely supportive and have been a great source of well wishes, prayers, and general friendship then and now.

My Dad finally lost his battle in January of this year, and I can honestly say I still miss him terribly. I used to call him most days on my drive home just to check in on him and talk. I really miss those calls and the discussions we had. Due to Covid and Dad's injuries, I was unable to actually see or visit him for the last year of his life. These times are hard and difficult, I highly recommend you spend as much time together as you can and are able to. Even if you can't be there physically, call and talk as often as possible. It's all over before you know it and there are no do overs.

Dad had the same pain issues and lack of relief your father is experiencing and I am so sorry to hear that. In so many ways that was the hardest part to deal with was seeing him suffer. At least now, I know his pain is over and he's in a better place. Your Father, you, and family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and don't hesitate to ask for help, prayers, or anything we can do during this time. God Bless
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers. As of yesterday, his condition was much more peaceful, although they're going through some issues as of this morning. Can no longer take meds by mouth. Trying to move him into a hospice house for the last stretch, where hopefully he'll get complete care. We'll still be at his side. Mom, of course, is taking it the hardest. She knew what was going on long before we did. That would explain her rapid weight loss. She looks like she's aged 10 yrs in the last month. They're only 68 yrs old.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Prayers and thoughts to you and yours my friend. Stay strong and give your Mom a hug from me.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Thank you, everyone, for all the kind words and prayers. Dad passed early this afternoon with mom and all 3 kids by his side. The last 2 days were very peaceful for him. For someone who had so many debilitating ailments, he had a ton of fight left in him.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Dang sorry to hear that
    My condolences to you & your family.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

So sorry to hear that brother, prayers for all the family.

Sent from my LM-K400 using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

Sorry to hear your Dad has passed so soon. Thankfully he is no longer in pain nor suffering. So happy to know that the family was all able to be there at the end and his final days were very peaceful. Your Dad, your family, and you will be in my thoughts and prayer. RIP and God Bless.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

So sorry for your loss.

I will still pray for you and your mom for comfort.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Sorry for your loss, may he rest in peace.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Condolences and prayers in the coming days and weeks.

Sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Sorry for your loss, Bronco.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Losing a father is incredibly difficult to deal with, especially when they are your brother/best friend. My father passed April 2020, it's still very difficult at times and probably will be for some time.

Stay strong my friend and remember you are not alone.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

So sorry for your loss, thoughts an prayers to you an your family

Default Could use prayers for dad

Sorry for your loss. I’m praying for peace and comfort for you and the family. This is a good time to reflect and remember all the great times you shared together.

Just read, So sorry for your loss.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast