Close

Default 85 Capri 5.0 Carb AC electric issue

Hi,
    I'm having a weird issue with getting my AC to work. The car has been previously rebuilt with almost all new AC components. First I had no power to the AC clutch but I have 12v to one side of the low pressure cycle switch (when dash selector switch is on) so I jumped that out and still no power to the clutch. Then discovered the plug for the carb switch solenoid which isn't being used (aftermarket carb) had 12v to one side it even when the dash selector was off so I jumped that out but now I appear to have power to the clutch even when the dash selector is off and the low pressure switch is open. The TSAD computer is gone and I can't find the WOT relay or even the connector for the TSAD. So i'm figuring PO altered the wiring when removing the TSAD causing this.

My question is could I safely just run a wire from the low pressure switch (not the hot side) directly to the compressor clutch harness because I'm not using any of that WOT carb solenoid stuff anyway?

Thank you

FEP Senior Member

the TSAD was never put in production. a long time ago i had trouble with a diode burning out. this stopped the A/C from working. near the front of the engine in the wire bundle, drivers side valve cover. yellow if i remember. went to radio shack and replaced it. it is needed to prevent feed back. so my answer is i would be careful of what i would bypass.

Thanks, I know the TSAD (two speed accessory drive) was never actually put in production but that's part of what the computer was designed for and the power to the AC also goes through it. Good point about the yellow diode. I do remember that on another 85 I had previously. I'll have to look at the wiring diagram for it.

I understand now why the diode is necessary but I cant find a replacement. LMR has it in the harness for the aero cars only. I understand I can just get a generic diode but need to know what size/rating it needs to be. Like 1.0 amp/ 400 volt etc. thanks

FEP Senior Member

have you found the diode to be defective. power on one side and no power going through?
    the a/c clutch is powered by fuse 6, 20 amps. also used by rear window defrost, trunk release speed control. do these work? if the diode is defective try about 4 amp (i do not know what they used) or (what i did) i tied 4 1 ampers together. good luck

Did you verify that the system is full. On my 85, I jumper the plug that attaches to the carb solenoid that is no longer there and made sure the system is topped off.

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    have you found the diode to be defective. power on one side and no power going through?
    the a/c clutch is powered by fuse 6, 20 amps. also used by rear window defrost, trunk release speed control. do these work? if the diode is defective try about 4 amp (i do not know what they used) or (what i did) i tied 4 1 ampers together. good luck
    I am missing the diode completely and I suspect it operating like that in the past could have caused the electrical problem of no power getting from the low pressure switch to the compressor. To eliminate the guesswork of figuring out what size/type diode I need I'm just getting the harness for the 87-93 cars and will cut the one end off and connect it to the cars harness. That harness comes with the correct diode already in it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messe View Post
    Did you verify that the system is full. On my 85, I jumper the plug that attaches to the carb solenoid that is no longer there and made sure the system is topped off.
    I haven't got to that part yet. I am still sorting out getting power to the compressor. The plug at my carb solenoid had power all the time and when jumped sent power to the clutch all the time so something id wrong there but it doesn't really matter because I'm not using the carb solenoid anyway. But I have a plan. thanks

I ended up using the compressor harness from LMR for the 87-93 cars and just cut the one end off. After proper evacuation and charging the system works good. So my AC system basically works like this electrically, power from fuse 6 to the selector switch then to the one side of low cycle switch, then from other side of low cycle switch to the compressor harness (the wire I added). Since my car was missing the computer and has an aftermarket carb I don't have any of that WOT switch, relay etc in the circuit.