Close

Default Hello from Pennsylvania

Hello all,

My name is Matt McDermott and I'm from Somerset County, Pennsylvania. I stumbled across this site while Googling parts for my project. I'm currently in the process of restoring a 1984 Ford Thunderbird Fila 5.0L with my grandpa who is the original owner. My grandpa decided to garage the car in 1992 with a little over 89,000 miles on it and it has been sitting ever since. It's definitely been an experience so far working on a car that's 4 years older than me . I have a bit of experience with the fox platform, but nothing this old (I previously owned a 2003 Mustang GT coupe) and this car is both familiar and foreign to me at the same time. I'm really happy to have found this place and I hope your collective knowledge can help me get this classic back on the road.

Here are a couple obligatory pictures:
    Name:  20210603_161313.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  128.3 KB
    Name:  20210429_151004 (3).jpg
Views: 81
Size:  162.0 KB
    Last edited by MattMcD488; 07-14-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Welcome. I have an 85 Tbird myself. Lots of great, knowledgeable guys on this site. You will soon find that “restoration “ parts are not available for these cars so far as body and interior. Searching and patience. Check out the site Cool Cats….. Lots of great info there so far as modding.
    Again Welcome and post more pictures when you can.

Welcome to FEP.. Nice car to start with, especially being Grandpa's car... My parents had an 85 blue limited edition Thunder Chicken when i was a teenager. I wish they still had it...

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm actually pretty lucky as the interior in this thing is spotless. It just needs a little conditioner for the leather seats which are a little dry, but not cracked. I'm also really lucky that my grandpa had the foresight to buy the body parts it needs before he parked it (a RF fender and door). Right now my focus is on the mechanical stuff. I'm in the process of redoing the fuel system right now. The engine turns, but both the pumps are shot and the tank was full rust and rotten gas... My first goal is to get it running. I was actually checking out Cool Cats to figure out if I had the digital dash or not before I bought my fuel sending unit. I have a real soft spot for the old four-eyed foxes. In addition to this thunder chicken, my dad also had a black '84 Mustang GT when I was a little kid.

Welcome and good luck with your project. Nice that you have a car your grandpa bought new!! Keep us posted on your progress and post some pics.

New User

welcome!