Close

Default Intake manifold hood clearance

I’ve been looking for a mild upgrade intake for my 83’ 5.0 vert. I’ve been looking at the weiand street warrior because it’s on the cheaper side and I’m 99% sure it’ll fit under the stock hood, plus I’m not looking to set the world on fire. Does anyone know if either a stealth or edelbrock rpm will fit under the stock hood with stock mounts? The 83’ vert k-member (according to LMR) used regular coupe or hatch motor mounts and won’t accept 84’ and on convertible mounts without modification that I don’t really want to deal with. I’m planning on deleting all the EGR stuff and I’m more than fine with running a drop filter so I can gain a bit of clearance. What’s everyone’s experience?

I ran the Weiand Stealth on my 79 PC with the stock OEM hood. No the cowl scoop doesn't give you any additional clearance.

I do run the late model convertible mounts, but I don't believe it makes that much difference. I have been running the OEM 5.0 dual snorkle air cleaner on an Edlebrock Carb. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Love my Edelbrock 3721 Performer. No clearance issues. This is the smog version and is out of stock at the moment. Summit Racing shows available 7/21.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

You still looking for one?
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

There is no way the Stealth will fit under your hood if you have your stock air cleaner and hood pad and you want to run a phenolic spacer to keep the fuel in the bowls from boiling. I'm running the Weiand Street Warrior on my '85 GT convertible with a .25in phenolic spacer and factory carb aluminum heat shield and I have to rotate the air cleaner lid 180 deg to keep the stock hood pad from rubbing off the 5.0L 4V decal. But, I'm very happy with my combination with mildly ported GT-40P heads, Street Warrior intake, and mild Comp Cams roller cam (212/ 218 duration) (.512/.512 lift). Pulls hard to 6250 RPM (limited by MSD box) and NO loss in low end torque.
    Last edited by 854vragtop; 07-28-2021 at 08:19 PM.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

I run the Ford Racing M-9424-F302 high rise on my 85 vert with the stock air cleaner assembly, 4180c carburetor, thick gaskets, oem heat shield, a phenolic spacer, and the factory hood insulation. It clears fine and is in between heights of the Weiand Street Warrior and Stealth. The Edelbrock RPM is a tad taller that the Stealth though...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9424-f302

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8124wnd

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7121
    Last edited by bwguardian; 07-29-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I run a Edelbrock RPM air gap on my 84 GT350. Stock Dual snorkel air cleaner fits fine with hood blanket too. Can't use a carb spacer though.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Good friend just MM tubular K member swapped his 86GT. He went with MM solid motor mounts. You will not believe this, but with a reasonable cam (his is a stock HO 5.0) there is minimal if any vibration inside the car.

You can drop the engine pretty significantly with solid mounts too.

Or worst case, space the K member to get more room.

You should be able to pick what you want for an intake within reason then work around it from there.

Here's hoping my RPM air gap will fit with my 85 air cleaner when all is said and done. (fingers crossed)
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php