Close

Default ‘85 Timing Cover Install (fuel line)

So I’m in an odd spot. I’m basically in the middle of replacing the timing cover gaskets on an ‘85 5.0 with carb. However, this was started by another person. Anyway, person who started the job got as far as removing the timing cover and even prepping the surfaces for the new gasket. Basically ready to install timing cover and put it back together.

Now that I am looking to reinstall the timing cover, I see a fuel line coming from the carb down to the fuel pump. This line is in the way of trying to install the timing cover. The line is removed from the pump but not the carb. I was looking to remove this fuel line but don’t have wrench to hold fuel inlet fitting in place, while trying to loosen the fuel line simultaneously. Is that something I even want to do? If so, what size wrench would that be? Should I leave fuel line attached to inlet fitting and remove the inlet fitting from carb? Or is there even a better way to get clear of the fuel line? I suppose I could use some force to get around it but I’m thinking that might not be the right way to go.

I’ve searched through the archives here and found tons of awesome info on doing timing cover installs but don’t recall if one mentioned a fuel line being in the way.

Appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    MCA#103463
    '86 GT Hatchback, T-Tops, 5 speed, Med Canyon Red, 21k miles.
    '85 GT Hatchback, Sunroof, 5-speed, Black, 11k miles.

Although not considered a ‘best practice’ an adjustable wrench will do the job. Shouldn’t be a big deal. Make sure not to let it slip on the fitting and round off the edges. Good luck
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Best thing is to remove the dashpot/wot switch that is attached to the carb at the end of the throttle cable. It is attached to the base of the carb with 2 hex screws, 7/16" socket or nut runner to remove. There may be a washer with tabs securing the screws. Bend the tabs and remove the bolts, then move the dashpot out of the way. This will allow access to the fitting. 5/8" open end and adjustable wrench on the filter body.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Yeah, I was thinking of trying that but it didn’t really fit that great. I could use a new adjustable wrench though. Thanks for the feedback.
    MCA#103463

I will give that a try. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
    MCA#103463