Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Looks great, Trey. Wish I had the testicular fortitude to cut up perfectly good quarter panels.
    Thanks! But I think is has more to do with having a couple of screws loose than anything else.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I thought I took more pictures of the passenger side progress, but apparently I didn't, at least with my phone.

Passenger side inner wheel housing finished and awaiting sound deadening material.

Name:  Passenger Side.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  251.5 KB

Test fitting the top flare filler piece and the extended wheel opening.

Name:  Passenger Side Outer.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  271.1 KB

I installed the sound deadening matt on the wheel housing and cut down the wheel opening panel for final fitting and welding. Had to quit early to mow the yard. Hopefully I can get back out in the shop later this week and weld everything up and start the body work. Ready to wrap this crazy project up and get on to other projects.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I have seen quite a few flare jobs and I gotta say this one has the right dimensions and look. Way to go and congrats!

Thanks! I need to wrap it up, but my daughter's 86 Bronco is kicking my butt and taking up all my spare time. Hope to have that finished in the next week or two and then back to welding up the flares.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Great job on the flares! It is going to look killer when your done! I love the mid 80’s trans am road race mustang’s and capri’s. I have about 20 pics of mid 80’s trans am series Roush mustangs that scrolls thru on my computer screen at work.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

Quote Originally Posted by 83 4SPD GT View Post
    Great job on the flares! It is going to look killer when your done! I love the mid 80’s trans am road race mustang’s and capri’s. I have about 20 pics of mid 80’s trans am series Roush mustangs that scrolls thru on my computer screen at work.
    Thanks! I am a huge fan of the 80's Trans Am/IMSA Mustangs and Capris as well as the actual Pontiac Trans Am. IMSA ran a street race in San Antonio TX in the late 80's early 90's that we went to every year. LOVE IT! The look of the cars, the sounds, the smells it was awesome. We always go the pit pass and I just loved getting to see the cars when they worked on them and were tuning them. It was a blast! Unfortunately for at least two of those years the Audi Quatros kicked everyone's butt! Those were Bad Ass! One of these days I will use my Tom Gloy Capri body work to build a street replica of the 84 Capri and hopefully an 85/86 Mustang. Yes! I have been saying it for years and it hasn't happened yet, but it will!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

We have the Savannah Speed Classic at Hutchinson Island road course every year. They have lots of vintage race cars running in it, 65-66 GT350’s, 67-68 Merc Cougars, 69-70 Boss 302 Trans Am race cars. My favorite is the Roush - “Whistler” Trans Am/IMSA Mustang, it has been there ever year that we have been to the speed classic. That thing is just bad to the bone! I love catching it going around the track by itself, where you can hear the engine and trans. They allow you to walk the pits and you can talk with the owners and drivers about the cars, pretty cool.
    Name:  5CE7B91D-D051-4A36-9C26-818EEC3E3AB3.jpeg
Views: 413
Size:  186.0 KB
    This is it at the Savannah Speed Classic - not my pic
    Last edited by 83 4SPD GT; 09-21-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

There's a Rocky Mountain Vintage Race that I have been meaning to go to for the same reasons. Unfortunatley I have not been able to make it just yet.

Here is a terrible picture of my Tom Gloy Capri body parts:

Name:  Tom Gloy.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  15.5 KB

This is what the Tom Gloy Capri would look like normally:

Name:  1F694B5C-C9C3-48CE-9E47-40EBD855CAA3-11356-00000D2EEB576C16.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  141.9 KB

This is the Motorcraft Capri of similar vintage:

Name:  21E4ACC7-D41A-4AA7-878F-0FCD23A4B102-11356-00000D3012308060.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  175.4 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

That is going to be wicked when you do get time to build it!
    I love the Roush Protofab cars, Wally Dallenbach jr and Willy T Ribbs were terror in those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 83 4SPD GT View Post
    That is going to be wicked when you do get time to build it!
    I love the Roush Protofab cars, Wally Dallenbach jr and Willy T Ribbs were terror in those cars.
    Don't Forget Tom Gloy and Bruce Jenner (oh sorry Caitlyn!)
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Finally made some photo worthy progress on my Mustang. Got the quarters finally roughed in enough for primer. Still have some finesse finish work left to do, but overall doesn't look too bad.

Name:  DR QRT Primer.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  1.84 MB

Name:  PS QRT Primer.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  1.84 MB

Also got the fenders ready for some primer too. Nice to see all the original yellow and the Grabber Blue I sprayed on them awhile back go away! At least now the whole car is a general shade of silver or grey. For some reason the file upload continues to fail. I will try and attach it later. Tomorrow is bump steer time for the rear IRS and if I actually make progress, then maybe the front too.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

That looks great Trey. I have been taking my Gt to the road race course near me, so lately I have been obsessed with custom wide body fox bodies.

Nice progress!! Looks good!

Not sure what is going on. I have resized all the photos and I still can not upload anything.

I rebuilt and repainted the rear calipers for install. I spent most of the weekend blocking out the rear quarter panels and the front fenders. Puttied up the quarters and fenders after blocking and then finally put a couple of more coats of primer on them. Still see a few things that need some attention, but the quarters and fenders are really close to finally being done.

Still lots of work to be done, but guess not really worth talking about if you can't view any pictures. Not sure why nothing is working right now, normally just resizing them to the appropriate size does the trick. Oh well, hopefully I can upload some later.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Still not sure what is and isn't working, but I have finally been able to upload some pictures!

Name:  IMG_8041.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  364.7 KB

The quarter flares and in the final stages. I need to lay down another couple of primer coats and then put some black base on to make sure my body line is straight and everything is really ready for paint.

I installed the front fenders, still not sure if they are going to need to be widened to fit the front wheels. I think I need to get the car aligned and ride height set and then double check my clearances. Definitely tight, but I think it might work.

Name:  IMG_8042.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  332.3 KB

The Saleen style side skirts are installed, but in three pieces due to the angle of the flares. So I need to bond those back together. I have the rear valance attached to the rear bumper cover. I used some bonded on studs to improve the attachment for both front air dam and the rear valance. That means I don't have to use exterior screws or rivets. I need to drill some clearance holes on the rear bumper so the whole assembly will fit.

Name:  IMG_8043.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  328.2 KB

Finally starting to look like a real car again! Still lots to do, but there is some progress.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Wow, Trey. That's looking awesome. Can't wait to see it all together.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Wow, Trey. That's looking awesome. Can't wait to see it all together.
    Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. I am getting excited too. It has taken so long to get to this point, I was struggling with staying motivated to get it done, thankfully I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopin to get out in the garage tonight and get some small stuff done if possible. Hopefully I will be able to continue to post some pictures.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. I am getting excited too. It has taken so long to get to this point, I was struggling with staying motivated to get it done, thankfully I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopin to get out in the garage tonight and get some small stuff done if possible. Hopefully I will be able to continue to post some pictures.

That is looking really cool. I realized that the first model car I ever built was one of the motorcraft cars. And so many years later I ended up with my 85. I really like the way you are building this one it will be unique!
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Trey, looking great! Can't wait to see more pictures.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Trey, looking great! Can't wait to see more pictures.
    Thanks! I have more pictures, but haven't been able to upload them lately. Not sure if I am over my limit or what is going on. Got some pictures loaded at work, but that only worked the one time. I am going to try taking pictures with my old Sony camera instead of my iPhone and see if there is any difference. Hopefully I can add some pictures later this week.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If pc or laptop iwth MS Paint is available:
    Found shrinking .jpg pics in MS Paint a workable solution to keep uploads under 50kb but still look normal size with detail.
    Open Paint, File tab/open pic file.
    When pic is open, select image tab, change stretch h/v values from 100% to 30%. Or whatever value. 30% works good.
    Save (as) xxxx 3030.jpg. then upload that one.
    'Save as' option, with a new name, will preserve the original pic.
    I do this when emailing pics too using image tab, not attachment, to resize and insert pic to a custom size.
    Changing rez from 1k+ down to 640 x 400.

Pic from camera or phone are easy to work on when transferred to the pc.
    Phone screens and program app menus are just too small to do anything like this efficiently if at all.
    Phone usb to pc usb is a better way.
    If digital camera uses SD card, a usb SD reader makes this way easier. Better than the phone thing.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-15-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    If pc or laptop iwth MS Paint is available:
    Found shrinking .jpg pics in MS Paint a workable solution to keep uploads under 50kb but still look normal size with detail.
    Open Paint, File tab/open pic file.
    When pic is open, select image tab, change stretch h/v values from 100% to 30%. Or whatever value. 30% works good.
    Save (as) xxxx 3030.jpg. then upload that one.
    'Save as' option, with a new name, will preserve the original pic.
    I do this when emailing pics too using image tab, not attachment, to resize and insert pic to a custom size.
    Changing rez from 1k+ down to 640 x 400.

Pic from camera or phone are easy to work on when transferred to the pc.
    Phone screens and program app menus are just too small to do anything like this efficiently if at all.
    Phone usb to pc usb is a better way.
    If digital camera uses SD card, a usb SD reader makes this way easier. Better than the phone thing.
    I have resized all the photos to the 1600 X 1200 size that the website likes and still having issues. I get the file too large size if the uploaded pictures are not resized, but only get a failed upload message when the resized photos are uploaded or attempted. I can upload photos to other forums like the Bronco6G without issue, so it is something to do with FEP not liking me anymore or something. I may have exceeded my photo upload limit, but it doesn't give me any message such as that. I have tried from both my home laptop and my office desktop and get the same error messages. Really frustrating to be honest. Hard to show what progress if any is being made when there are no pictures to look at. Oh well, I will keep looking at options.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-15-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ok, might have finally found a hosting site that will allow me to upload some photos.

Overall side view, but I have better ones on the home laptop.

Name:  19rcil.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  4.50 MB

The modifications I had to make to the side skirts to work with the flared fenders and quarter panels

Name:  19rjxj.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  5.03 MB

I have since used urethane adhesive and bonded everything together, just need to final finish them and they are ready for paint. I will post additional photos once I get home.

Name:  19rPWv.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  5.60 MB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-16-2022 at 05:54 PM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

For a test, saved your recent pic. 1600 x 1200, file size is 4609 KB (4.5 MB) as posted.
    Can zoom it pretty good to see item detail.

Shrunk to 3030 size file, file size reported by windows is 42 KB quite a bit smaller
    Shrunk to 5050 size file, 102 KB

3030, 480 X 360 when zooming item labels are pixalated on the cans and boxes. Good for a photo but not a detailed one.
    Name:  86 wr mustang gt 3030.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  41.7 KB
    5050, 800 x 600 when zooming much better can make out same labels good enough to read.
    Name:  86 wr mustang gt 5050.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  101.7 KB

Found normal untouched low rez pic sizes add up quick filling up bandwidth had to prune them or shrink the file size.
    Did both here on fep. Have to always do it for email due to constraints.
    Have received email pics so big they required scrolling to view.

I believe my issue is that I have exceeded the allowable amount of photo upload/storage on the site. I have the largest amount of photos stored on the site most likely thanks to all the ROTM years ago and my personal postings. I don't get an error message stating that just that the upload failed. I have tried shrinking the photos below the 1600 X 1200 size and that didn't make any difference on my end. The pictures I just posted were linked from Freeimage.host and not directly uploaded. So most likely that is how I will have to load pictures going forward. I do miss the old Photobucket, but Freeimage appears to be working so far.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller