Close

Thread: Door Handles

Default Door Handles

Hello All,

Got some rust streaks on my paint below the outside door handles. I haven't torn the doors apart yet; what's the apparent issue and fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

BG

New outside window weather stripping will limit or reduce the amount of water getting inside the door shell.

The door handle rivets are steel, so most likely they are the source of the rust stains. If in bad shape, then replacing them would be the best option, otherwise you can clean up the stain, new weather stripping and it should stop.

If you want to replace the door handle rivets, one option if you don't have the BIG 1/4 Rivet Gun is to use 1/4" x 3/4 Flat Allen Head Flush Stainless Steel bolts and Stainless Steel Nylon Lock Nuts. This allows you to bolt on the hand and secure them without the use of a rivet gun. The SS Allen bolt looks good and sit flush in the door handle. I do this on most of my vehicles as it allows me to make sure the door handle is nice and parallel to the body lines. often with the rivet gun it will set at a slight angle that sends my OCD into overdrive! The hardware can be picked up at most Lowe's/Home Depot/ Good True Value Hardware stores. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great tip about the alignment of the handles, Trey.
    We should make a database for all tips and tricks like these.
    I have a hard time looking up info I've seen in old threads. I recall having read them. But difficult to find it back.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk