Close

Default Who Makes The Best Brake Drum

So I had a noise in my 8.8 that I had just converted from 5 lug back to 4 lug. No previous noise prior to converting it. I put new axles and drums. The first set of drums I bought from NAPA would not fit over the center of the axle. They offered two and this was the more expensive of the two. Returned them and bought a set from Advance Auto parts. Supposedly they are balanced but there were no weights on them. Thought maybe they just machined them somehow to be balanced. Well turns out the right rear is defective. I switched it out with a drum from another car and the noise went away. Looking for opinions on quality 4 lug drums.

FEP Senior Member

I'm sure all parts store drums/rotors come from a handful of factories in China. I've had good luck with Centric C-Tek rotors and drums through the years I've purchased them from RockAuto. I probably replace 50-60 sets of rotors a year on various cars and I've never had an issue with their products. I do maybe 1-2 sets of drums a year so less exposure. It would seem the Chinese have gotten decent at making cast drums and rotors.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

OEM Ford drums are not hard to find even NOS.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 5.0 View Post
    The first set of drums I bought from NAPA would not fit over the center of the axle. They offered two and this was the more expensive of the two.
    Hmm, seems like that may be the case with Raybestos 2681R Professional Grade Brake Drums.
    Bummer, in general, I trust Raybestos parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-268.../dp/B000IYJI1U

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...2XJ7QJCPDQXWD/
    ====
    tony m.
    1.0 out of 5 stars
    Do not fit 8.8 v8 foxbody 64mm hub.
    Reviewed in the United States on November 7, 2020
    Verified Purchase
    Do not fit a fox body with a 8.8 rear end. Hub size is 63mm instead of the 64.5 u need for the v8
    ====
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 07-12-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I'm sure all parts store drums/rotors come from a handful of factories in China. I've had good luck with Centric C-Tek rotors and drums through the years I've purchased them from RockAuto. I probably replace 50-60 sets of rotors a year on various cars and I've never had an issue with their products. I do maybe 1-2 sets of drums a year so less exposure. It would seem the Chinese have gotten decent at making cast drums and rotors.
    I've had good luck with the centric also.