Close

Default need info on switching to internal regulator

I was wondering if anyone has made the switch? What do you have to do ?

gtluke

you talking alternator right?
    there are people here who know how to do it and i'm sure they will post up soon. i have an 86 so i dont need to do that, but you'll find your info soon, be patient
    -luke-

Default More charging problems

Yeah , I had a charging problem a couple of years ago, and I would have paid for someone to tell me about the alt. cutout switch on the carb.Its a NC switch so when it broke it was open.Mike

Anonymous

I did it on my 85, but can't remember exactly how I did it right now. I'll find my info again so I post the correct names of the wires and what not and get back to you in a day or two. Later, Dave

I added this post for email notification as I am trying do this swap myself.
    went 14.50 looking for 12.00
    lots of work to do

Anonymous

I haven't forgot about this, just haven't found all my info yet. If one of you wants to post the abbreviations of the wires that go to the regulator(each terminal on the reg. has a 3 letter-such as IGN) and what color wire it is, that would help as that is what I can't find right now. I will tell you that the way I did mine I only have the 2 charge wires and another one to actually turn the alternator on. I did that just to get rid of some wires. I can tell you how to do it the normal way too if you want. later, Dave

83CapriEFI

I did the swap. I'll get my marked up wiring diagrams tonight and post tomorrow.

Anonymous

Still can't find my schematics but I did look at how I have it wired. So here goes: On the alternator- jumper the terminal labelled "A" to either one of the "BAT" terminals. Next jumper the "STA" terminal to the "S" terminal.
    Now there should be a dark green wire on the regulator (should be a terminal labelled "I") that needs to go to the "I" terminal on the alternator. On mine I put a 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series with this wire just so there was something to limit current a little bit. It is probably not necessary but I was just being on the safe side. All other wires that were on the regulator can be bundled out of the way. I am using an 87-93 style alternator and am not sure if this will work on the 140 amp ones. I can't remember if my stock voltmeter worked after I changed over since I was using an autometer one. I have had mine like this for 4-5 years and have had absolutely no issues with it. PM me or post here if you have any questions about this. Later, Dave

83CapriEFI

Here's what I did:

My 1990 Alternator with internal regulator has three wires that pretty much match colors with the 1983 wires:
    A - fat black w/ orange stripe.
    B - yellow w/ white stripe.
    C - light green w/ red stripe.

Cut the black/orange wire that was going to your external regulator and also to your alternator and splice A there.
    Add B to the same splice but put an 18 GA fusible link there between the splice and new alternator.
    Cut the light green / red stripe wire that was going to your external regulator and splice C there.
    Now you can remove the external regulator.

Note: I have only been running about three weeks with this set up but so far so good. Voltage increases to 14 when the alternator runs.