Close

Default Hoods - Liftoff vs stock latching vs ?

Currently have a stock metal hood that was cut and had a cowl crappily fabbed into it by previous owner.

I have had Saleen hoods in the past and one of the 2 cracked after a few years, had a Kaenen as I lived in Melbourne for years and they were excellent fiberglass hood that used the stock setup and had a metal frame so could not worry. I have never used an off-brand fiberglass hood.

What are the thoughts on best/safest?

I'll include a pic or two - it is a 3" cowl and I need the space currently as have a HEI dizzy and that requires an off-set carb filter and puts my air filter a good inch or two above stock lines.

I would like to go with a standard 3" or 4" cowl just like I have but get rid of the cracking crap and sharp edges underneath as well as weight of the modified stocker.

Go with 4 pins and just cheap fiberglass?
    Go with DZUS pins around 6 total or 8?
    Go with known brand - Kaenen I could order and pick up in November as I'm heading down to see family for Thanksgiving and they make an 83 model for the slightly different grill.

Thoughts?

Car is all one color now but will be multi colored soon - whatever hood I get will get a prepped and a sealed coat of primer black on it until I get the rest of the bodywork done - a good paint job is on order not this 10ft with runs crap job, but speed and handling are coming as the first few years were on safety.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1983 Notch - 347, 295 Comp Cam, Holley 850, AFR 205's, "built" AOD, etc

The issue with a liftoff setup with just pins is that you are pretty much going to have to have someone to help you every time you want to remove it. Fine if your racing and will have help, but kind of a PITA for day to day. Using just pins and hinges is fine so long as you always ensure the pins are secured. I have the Aero Catches on mine and kept the original safety latch but not the main original hood latch.

FEP Senior Member

i have had a lift off, it is very easy to scratch the paint doing it yourself.