Close

Default Header / Steering Shaft Clearance

I’m looking for some advice from people that have ran into this issue before. I have installed a steering rack from a low mile 2003 GT and Maximum Motorsports hybrid steering shaft in my 85 GT. The install was fairly painless, however the shaft is only 1/16 of an inch from my MAC unequal length headers. I tried adjusting steering column over by undoing the bolts under the dash and prying, but that only marginally helped. My motor mounts appear to be in good physical condition, even though they are 20+ years old.

Based on this I believe I have two remaining options.

1) Dimple the header - I’m not opposed to doing this, however it’s rubbing on the weld of the header where the four tubes consolidate to one. I’m concerned either I won’t be able to make enough room or I’ll crack the weld. See picture.

2) Move the motor - Apparently there is some play with how the motor sits in the k member? I have read that I can possibly shift the motor to the passenger side to gain the clearance needed. I don’t have an engine hoist, but I could likely rent one. How do you about doing this? Undoing k member bolts, raising the motor and then pushing it over as you let it down?

Which option would you try or am I missing another option?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Offset rack bushings? Also, the end of the steering column, where it comes through the firewall moves in/out at least an inch. Perhaps that could gain some clearance?

Edit: I think the MM steering shaft also is telescopic, so maybe a combination of these things would work.
    Last edited by gmatt; 06-28-2021 at 07:50 PM.

I put a shim (big fat washer) under the mount on the driver's side and it gave me the clearance I needed.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I managed to get this sorted out and have about a 1/4 of clearance now. Gmatt’s was on the money about the steering column sticking out of the firewall. When I removed the old rack I must have pulled it out an inch or two out, because when I tried to install the new shaft it was too long. Based on the instructions that came with the steering shaft I tapped it back in. Here lies the problem, I pushed it into the firewall too far. In this position the left/right angle is reduced (the steering shaft is straighter) which puts it too close to the header. By pulling the column out a bit more the left/right angle increased and it now clears. Thanks gmatt!

As much as I hate to say it: dimple the header. I've had to do it twice now on various combinations. I never noticed a performance change, and the peace of mind was well worth it.
    Theodore J. Garbera, 1985 Mercury Capri RS

For future reference, remove the header gasket and use Copper RTV to seal the headers instead. That will give a bit more clearance. On my 86, I'm using the MM shaft with an 03 Cobra rack, 1-3/4" Accufab mid-lengths, Energy motor mounts and the motor is set back 1" on the MM K. Using the Coper RTV gave me plenty of clearance.