Close

Default Steering shaft play (Flaming River)

A few years ago, I replaced the steering shaft in my pace car with a Flaming River shaft, as part of a manual steering conversion. It has slowly developed some play and is now at the point where it needs addressed. Both u-joints in the shaft have noticeable play, but there are no loose nuts or bolts. I plan on doing another manual steering conversion to my 82gt. When I installed the FR shaft in the pace car, I decided I didn't care for the design. Lots of nuts and bolts to work loose and you have to drill the shaft to seat the bolt ends in order to keep them from working loose. In my opinion, just not a good design. I see that there are a couple different designs available in both Flaming River and Borgeson units. Shortly after doing the swap, I started looking for a better alternative. I found that you can buy a steering u-joint in the correct spline count/size and cut the rag joint section off of the oem shaft. Slip the new u-joint on, drill and install a through-bolt and weld the u-joint to the old shaft. I believe I can use a shaft from a power steering setup, since I'm cutting off the part that connects to the rack.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had issues with the Flaming River shafts. Any other solutions for manual steering shafts?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I've been using the Maximum Motorsports unit for a while now, so far, so good. A little pricey but it is a solid unit.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...tang-P459.aspx
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    I've been using the Maximum Motorsports unit for a while now, so far, so good. A little pricey but it is a solid unit.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...tang-P459.aspx
    I don't know why I didn't think of MM. Duh. Thanks for the suggestion. It looks to be made differently than both styles of shafts from Borgeson and FR. I believe mine was somewhere around $250ish. Still a little on the spendy side, but what can you expect? I mean, mine had to have at least 150 miles on it. They can't last forever lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4