Close

Default Can someone tell me why some 1986 Gt's had a grayed out look under the molding?

I just realized this was a question I was always thinking about when I was younger and as I got older, but never really took the time to search for an answer. I don't know if it was just on 86s, I just know it was on my father's is all. When I was younger my father had a 1986 GT in Light Regatta Blue with the area below the entire body molding completely grayed out. He bought the car brand new and said he didn't order it this way, it was just on the lot and bought that particular one. We used to always go car shows and drag races/Mustang events in the mid 90s and I would always look for cars with that some grayed out two tone type of look and I rarely saw them.

Was this a factory option that must people just didn't get?

Here is an example, this car is not mine, just what i'm talking about.

Conveniently enough, I still have the door off my father's car that I now use for spare parts for my 86 GT.

1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

FEP Power Member

Lower body gray color was an option in 85 and 86 I believe. It's easily overlooked with some colors If you search for 85 and 86 Ford Motorsport Nationals, you will see the event special cars lined up in white body color and a few with lower gray paint.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks for informing me, I thought it might be an option, I just didn't know what years or if it was a package or just a single option by itself.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

Lower "two-tone" paint option. In 1979-84 it was Black. In 1985 and 1986 it was Dark Charcoal. In 1987-93 it was Titanium.

There was also a special two-tone paint option in 1981-84.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Gotcha. It must have not been that popular of an option for 85/86 models since I rarely saw them. The only aero cars I liked in two tone were the dark emerald green GTs with certain aftermarket mods since I don't really like 87-93 GTs and prefer LXs.

On a side note, I just painted some cabinet hardware Titanium Grey yesterday for a project the wife is working on.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I don't have production numbers for 1986. Production numbers for 1985 were low...7.2% for hatchbacks and 2.7% for convertibles.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    On a side note, I just painted some cabinet hardware Titanium Grey yesterday for a project the wife is working on.
    Going for that OEM Fox look I see

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I don't have production numbers for 1986. Production numbers for 1985 were low...7.2% for hatchbacks and 2.7% for convertibles.

Probably not a massive increase. Also, I can't say, because I wasn't even born yet in 1986, but i've seen the commercial the 86 Mustang/GT/SVO and they are most definitely 80s, but very horrible. They play this one song they obviously made it and used it for a few different commercials that year for the 1986 Mustang and it goes something like, "you got to Mustang, it's a Mustang kind of day...go to your local Ford dealer today!" Then the person singing the song just repeats this with a very catchy 80s tune with those lyrics. I didn't know that Mustang could be used as a verb, haha.

I have a color combo like your dad did-light regatta blue/charcoal lower- I paid for a Marti report a few years ago and it was under 300 in that color combo so I would imagine with all the different colors available it probably was around the 85 number of 7% give or take that Foxchassis mentioned- I really like the 2 tone- it's kind of different I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Hada86GT View Post
    I have a color combo like your dad did-light regatta blue/charcoal lower- I paid for a Marti report a few years ago and it was under 300 in that color combo so I would imagine with all the different colors available it probably was around the 85 number of 7% give or take that Foxchassis mentioned- I really like the 2 tone- it's kind of different I guess....
    That's pretty cool to know! When I was looking for an 86 GT to buy, I was looking for a Light Regatta Blue, but with 86s in general, they are not easy to find in decent condition. So there was no way I was going to find one with the charcoal gray color combo. My father was going to give the car to me when I turned 18, but unfortunately he totaled the car. It had 36, xxx original miles on it. Thankfully he was ok though, and years later after going through a few different Mustangs of my own, I bought my own 86 GT.