Close

Default Can I replace this 20A metal circuit breaker fuse for a regular plastic 20A one?

So my driver's window stopped working so I figured I would change the actual switch since I have two extra ones and it's very simple to change, well I pulled it out, put in the other one I has and the other switch I had worked to get the power window working again. I don't really drive the car much and it just sits in the garage on a trickle charge. About two weeks later I took the car out on the evening driving to a few grocery stores and such and at my last stop my passenger window went up, but my driver's window wouldn't. I thought the switch was somehow burnt out, but thinking in 35 years this didn't happen until lately, I checked the fuse box and the diagram told me 14 which was a metal 20A circuit breaker. Once I removed it, of course both windows wouldn't work as it should.

My question, is can I replace this metal 20A circuit breaker for a regular 20A plastic one?

1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

I’m not sure if replacing the circuit breaker will solve your problem? If both windows run off the same circuit, and 1 window works and the other one doesn’t, I would think the circuit breaker is fine, and the problem is in the circuit wiring to the window that isn’t working.
    Just in my experience
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks for the reply. If the circuit breaker isn't the issue that would make since when I replaced the up/down switch and the window worked again, but I don't understand why the driver's window stopped working and then when I replaced the switch again it stopped working. Did the wiring fail at that point possibly?
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

Sounds like it may be an intermittent problem.
    Maybe a corroded wire that sometimes works, sometimes not.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

You are correct sir. I switched the circuit breaker with the one from my door locks which is the exact same metal style one and is also 20 amps and it is still only letting me roll up/down my passenger window. I'll remove my door panel this weekend if I have the time and take a closer look. The good news is I have all the replacement parts I could possibly need since I have a passenger door from my father's 86 GT he totaled about 15 years ago and I kept a few things off the car for myself and oddly enough this extra door could come in handy. If I need another electric window motor, I have another one and all the wiring in that door. I only wish I would've scrapped more part of the car like random switches and small interior pieces. At the time I was focused on pulling the engine/trans and anything of major value.

Maybe I'm missing something?
    But, it sounds like a very common, power window motor going/gone bad.

Or, the window/track/roller is binding, causing a very high current draw.
    The motor/teeth/gear will also eventually go in situations like that.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something?
    But, it sounds like a very common, power window motor going/gone bad.

Or, the window/track/roller is binding, causing a very high current draw.
    The motor/teeth/gear will also eventually go in situations like that.

Good luck.
    Thanks.

I don't think it's off it's track or binding, I don't hear it making any noise whatsoever when I flip the switch up/down. I'll check the motor. The car is 35 years old with 100k miles on the car. Safe to say that window motor has put that window up and down thousands of times. Luckily, the last time I drove the car the window was down and I keep the car in the garage, plus the car is only taken out on nice days and is never driven in the rain. So I can still take the car out while i'm looking into the problem thankfully.

Keep us posted on what you are doing.

I took the '84 for a drive, got home and the passenger window would not go up. I have the panels off and everything exposed and am to the point where I will use a direct jumper to see if it works.

I really don't feel like pulling the motor. the job snowball. IE.. I need new window channel molding, dew wipes etc... Might as well do it all at the same time but too many projects on the board.

Oh yeah did I say the window is down and I am out of garage space.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    Keep us posted on what you are doing.

I took the '84 for a drive, got home and the passenger window would not go up. I have the panels off and everything exposed and am to the point where I will use a direct jumper to see if it works.

I really don't feel like pulling the motor. the job snowball. IE.. I need new window channel molding, dew wipes etc... Might as well do it all at the same time but too many projects on the board.

Oh yeah did I say the window is down and I am out of garage space.
    I'll let you know when I get a solution.