Close

Thread: Headers choice

Default Headers choice

I have a 1984 5.0 LX convertible and am getting ready to order headers.

is there any reason NOT to go with long tubes?

Unless you are building up a more powerful SBF, the stock and evenly mildly tuned 5.0 doesn't really gain a lot from LT headers. Tubular shorties or even Equal length shorties generally will support all the HP a stock to mild 5.0 will need.

Long tubes often decrease ground clearance, can cause hot start issues due to heat around starter motor, generally are louder, are emission legal in many areas of the US, can be more difficult to install and remove engine due to LT headers, often don't seal as well at collectors and/or heads.

Bottom line is that unless you are pushing 400+HP, the odds are you don't need LT headers to make your 5.0LX run well. You can save time, money, and headaches with even a cheap set of shorties. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok thanks

I won't be installing them so was thinking might as well go LT, but this car won't have major HP for quite some time.

Is there an actual advantage to equal lengths over shorties? I have been driving newer cars for so long I have forgotten most of this stuff LOL

Yes, there is an advantage to equal length shorties, but not much in most cases. If you were at the upper end of the HP limit for shorties you might be able to feel the difference, but in most cases you would need a dyno to see the difference.

If you change your own plugs and wires, stay with the NON Equal length as it makes it easier, same most often for install too.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Yes, there is an advantage to equal length shorties, but not much in most cases. If you were at the upper end of the HP limit for shorties you might be able to feel the difference, but in most cases you would need a dyno to see the difference.

If you change your own plugs and wires, stay with the NON Equal length as it makes it easier, same most often for install too.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post

Another question...is the '84 engine bay and plug setup any different than an '87? Only reason I ask is my friend has equals on an '87 and says he doesn't really have issues changing plugs.

Essentially the engine bay is the same between an 84 and 87. The basic 5.0 layout is the same, but most of the top of the engine induction is different, actual engine wiring is different, etc.

Changing plugs with equals isn't difficult, but depending on brand, it can be more time consuming due to the layout of the equal length tubing. That's really about it. Again they don't add that much HP in most cases, so just a personal choice as to their worth IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller