Close

Default How to remove Turn Signal lever?

Hello, is it possible to remove and replace the turn signal lever in an 82 GT, without taking apart the column? I would like to replace mine and it looks like the replacement should just clip in, but I don't know how to remove the current one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attachment 135776

on my 79, believe i removed it by yanking or pulling hard on it and press new one in socket of new switch
    believe stalk was indexed with a flat to prevent lever rotation and keeps lettering orientation correct.
    no tools, can be done with switch installed, actually the best option when switch is held with screws, not loose.
    was a weird thing to do but worked is a press fit.
    82 looks similar cannot confirm same procedure others that know will pipe up eventually

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    on my 79, believe i removed it by yanking or pulling hard on it and press new one in socket of new switch
    believe stalk was indexed with a flat to prevent lever rotation and keeps lettering orientation correct.
    no tools, can be done with switch installed, actually the best option when switch is held with screws, not loose.
    was a weird thing to do but worked is a press fit.
    82 looks similar cannot confirm same procedure others that know will pipe up eventually
    Thanks very much; can anyone confirm?

Do verify. Anyone with a 1982 Ford chassis shop manual?
    Procedure below was in chassis, steering column not electrical. May be listed elsewhere for other years

From my 1979 Ford shop manual, chassis v1, section 13-06-19 under steering columns-modular I extruded absorber type:
    Switch removal, line 2
    "Remove the turn signal switch lever by grasping lever and by using a pulling and twisting motion of the hand while pulling the lever straight out from the switch.
    Installation, line 3
    Install the turn signal switch lever into the switch manually by aligning key with the keyway in the switch and pushing the lever toward the switch for full engagement."

If a new switch is being installed, the electrical connector is next.
    last is the column shroud

metal stalk version only later years plastic is different procedure

I replaced one recently, and the old one was snapped in half, held together with electrical tape and angst. Pulled it off the metal post, then got that post out of the column with a vise grip (just pulled, didn't twist) and the new one popped in there without a problem. Pretty sturdy in there, too. Now I just need to weather it a bit so it matches the wiper stalk, haha.