Close

Default securing and sealing oil dipstick questions

While working on the engine, I noticed my oil dipstick was loose. The bracket that holds it came out from behind the header bolt you can see missing and was just dangling. The bracket looked like it may have been for the other bolt on 6th cylinder, but it is not coming off easy and I have already had terrible luck with broken bolts and don't want to risk breaking it while the engine is in the car.

I also noticed that the dipstick seemed to be sealed in around the bottom where it enters the engine with a bit of silicon (done by the guy who rebuilt the engine).

My questions are:

Are these sealed with silicon from the factory or some sort of rubber grommet?

I pretty much needed to move the dipstick to access the plug, so do you expect to to move the dipstick and reseal every time you change spark plugs?

Did the bracket originally hook to the 7th cylinder header/manifold bolt?

Any other suggestion whether it be an aftermarket bracket, etc. is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Senior Member

Some of the later tubes have an "O" ring on the tube where it plugs into the block. Roller block motors I believe.