Close

Default Race bullets vs glasspacks

Other than the fancy stainless and higher price, is there really a difference between race bullet-type resonators and glasspacks?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Default glass packs can be heavy

Have a single red cherry bomb 2" x 24" on my Ranger 2.3. Is loud, pops, does not blow out or up.
    It is loud of course and heavy even with tailpipe. Added extra hangers.
    Next one will be a round no packing type like Ol' Skool brand similar to original Thrush round.
    Were very popular in the 60-70's muscle car days, like Flow master of the 80's.
    Glasspacks were popular for slower performance cars. Smaller engines needed bigger sound?
    All chambered exhaust would be fine too

Mufflers are louder closer to engine, turn downs vs tailpipe, overall length of muffler.
    Have a single cherry bomb brand plain 2.25" oval turbo on the Mustang.
    Lightweight, factory sound with stock twin tips. No 4cyl popping or raspy ricer noise.
    Next one will be the same.
    Using all band clamps. Cost more but are much stronger and seal best vs u-clamp pipe crushers.
    Almost as solid as welding.

Bullet muffler construction and design varies. Usually straight thru perforated or louvered tube.
    Reversible or non-reversible.
    Sound control with fiberglass, ss, chambered, or no packing.
    Shell steel, aluminum, or ss. Robot welded usually. Painted or plain.
    Race are space savers and for minimum track rule compliance or as resonators.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-02-2021 at 11:19 AM.

It seems like they could make a race bullet muffler for the same (or similar) price as a glasspack. They just tend to make the bullet mufflers a little fancier, I guess. I did find the Pypes M-80 race-bullets for around $70 ea. They seem to have good reviews. I'm not so much concerned about sound as I am fitment. I have Thrush Welded mufflers on my pace car (331 stroker) and they occasionally rub the driveshaft. An easy fix would be a slightly smaller muffler. I like the sound of bullets, but to be honest, they just sorta sound like glasspacks to me. Some of the reviews on the Pypes M-80 state that they weren't quite as loud or crackly. I may order a set. I can use the Thrush set on my Capri.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...on-strategies/

Other brother had a 10 sec 468 in his 70 SS chevelle. Drowned out rockcrusher trans whine
    Garage was large like your cool new one.
    Rattled and vibrated everything when idling, hear it coming 1/2 block away. Or much further if blasting thru gears.
    Had to yell to each other whenever it was running. Driven mostly on street.
    Cyl pressure or something makes big engines louder much more air pushing out than from my 2.3's.
    Heavy low bass at idle, commanding loud midrange cruising, same as the others at wot. You knew when the engine was running...
    i prefer quieter exhausts to hear the symphony of carb, turbo, trans, rad fan, and any loud mechanical noises good or bad.
    No wheezing or drowning out radio, M22 trans whine allowed. If one plays a radio or even has one installed.
    Hearing inboard boat engines moving at no wake speed is a sound of summer.

That's a good article from the science aspect. Definitely a lot more going on than I thought. I also understand what you mean about a quieter exhaust. Luckily, my pace car doesn't get driven much at all. I may try and change that this summer. We'll see. There's always something with that car, so it stays in a perpetual state of me not wanting to deal with another problem. The wife finds the loud exhaust intimidating, I think. She doesn't like driving them. My 79 cobra, I'm actually building for her. After this discussion, I believe I'll quiet the exhaust note so she's more likely to hop in the driver's seat without a lot of coaxing. As for my capri, I'll do the same, but for different reasons. I just want to use it for trips to the store and whatnot. T5, tall gear, mild 302, stock(ish) cam, non-offensive exhaust, and a decent stereo.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Here, one sort of advantage of neighborhood restrictions and no garage= cars have to be kept driveable.

the race bullets should do the job. reversible mod. Cars for all moods.
    A loud car may be sending the wrong impression that she likes to race and show off.

Sound of straight cut trans gears. A rare addition to a car's db sound mix. another smooth sound of strenght.
    Example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MampOXnU7-c
    Last edited by gr79; 06-03-2021 at 10:15 PM.