Close

Default Unbolting T-5 - Challenges

Hello All,

Planning to pull the engine from my 85GT. I'd like to avoid pulling the transmission as well.

I need to disconnect the clutch fork, but I can't get one of the four transmission bolts out. Passenger side top. It's very tight and I can't seem to get a socket on it square, there's not room for extensions (I tried). Even if I could get a socket on the bolt there's not much room to swing the ratchet.

So what's the secret?

Thanks in advance.

BG

6 point socket with a wobbler extension in it. Then add on several long extensions to that. The ratchet is going to end up near the back of the trans.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

That's how I've done it. Several extensions, at least one of them wobblyish, with a universal joint socket.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

South Eastern Pa. Bringing up the rear of The rat race...

It may help to drop the trans cross member and lower the trans

I have a 3 ft Snap On extension specifically because of the top passenger transmission bellhousing bolt. The extension is a 1/2 drive with a 3/8 end impact unit. I put a wobble and the socket on the end, then weave the extension over the top of the transmission on the passenger side, until I make contact with the bolt. Seat the socket squarely on the bolt and then I attach the impact gun or ratchet to the extension and BOOM! Problem solved.
    As mentioned if you haven't lowered the transmission crossmember that can help a bunch and give you just an extra amount of room to work. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller