Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by midnite9150 View Post
    I put the battery tray from my '91 into my '85.5 SVO, it bolted right up. I sold the '91 and couldnt let the $200+ odyssey battery go to waste, lol
    How long have you had your Odyssey? I have a 65-PC1750 for two years so far in my Explorer and a 34/78-PC1500for a year that I switch back and forth between my Mustang and Taurus SHO.

I love Odysseys, so much cranking power, and they should last forever. I've had so many issues with lead acid batteries over the past few years

Quote Originally Posted by mechjames View Post
    How long have you had your Odyssey? I have a 65-PC1750 for two years so far in my Explorer and a 34/78-PC1500for a year that I switch back and forth between my Mustang and Taurus SHO.

I love Odysseys, so much cranking power, and they should last forever. I've had so many issues with lead acid batteries over the past few years
    where did you buy your's from?
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

I picked up one at Federal Battery here in Richmond, and one at Battery Direct in Burnaby. Battery Direct is a bit cheaper, and close to BCIT (which I was going to at the time)

ragtopjr

Exclamation

I have an 87-93 mount on the passenger side, I know I had performed some factory modifications to make it fit, but that was so long ago I have no idea what they were....

I also run an Optima and have a specially built hold down as well

'87-'93 battery tray bolted right in to my SEFI converted '85 GT convertible. No mods needed as I had already swapped the tray from the passenger side to the driver side when I did the SEFI swap. I got a new hardware kit off of eBay from foxmustangrestoration which came with the bottom mounting bolt and clip nut I was missing and the frame rail already had the necessary holes punched. The swap was a piece of cake. Ironically, the hard part was installing the battery which is supposed to fit. I fiddled with it until I ran out of patience and gave up in disgust. The battery fits just fine but the hold-down is a tight squeeze and the bolt won't quite line up with the hole. It will probably fit if I oval out the hole in the hold-down, but why should I have to do that on a brand-new part! Such horse manure! I'm blaming the tray. It's a repop also sourced from eBay from blueovalindustries. The battery itself is an Interstate Megatron MT58. I doubt the battery is the problem and blame the plastic repop tray. Grrrr!!!
    Last edited by frankiesaysrelax; 04-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

I "relieved" the bolt hole in the hold down a bit with a small round file. Now it lines up properly and everything is bolted down tight. Nothing like having to modify a brand-new part to make it fit properly. Grrrr!!!
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

Sorry for the revival but figured someone might know that is subscribed to this thread

Will an '87-up battery tray bolt right into an '86 GT with no modifications?

Or, will this battery http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ody-pc1200/overview/ fit the '86 tray?
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

I believe the 87-93 battery tray should be a bolt in for an 86. The battery in a 86 V8 was already moved to same location as the 87-93 and there are no differences in the actual frame rails. It's possible the bolt locations for the battery trays in the inner fenders might be different, but the tray should physically fit in the 86.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Are the group 56s still hard to get? The last one I ordered from Ford took like three months. I need to put it on Craigslist or something. No longer need it.

No, the group 56 batteries are everywhere and still available as a Motorcraft via the Ford dealer. Odd that it took so long for you to get a hold of a group 56 from the dealer.

So, to answer my question above from 3/20, the '87-up battery tray does directly bolt in with zero modifications in the stock location. I bought a brand new '87-up Ford tray and a brand new '86 original Ford tooling tray and they both fit perfectly. The '87-up try does seem to hold the battery higher so hood clearance could be an issue with a taller battery, but it also holds Optima groups 75/25, 34, etc. unlike the '86 tray.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    No, the group 56 batteries are everywhere and still available as a Motorcraft via the Ford dealer. Odd that it took so long for you to get a hold of a group 56 from the dealer.

So, to answer my question above from 3/20, the '87-up battery tray does directly bolt in with zero modifications in the stock location. I bought a brand new '87-up Ford tray and a brand new '86 original Ford tooling tray and they both fit perfectly. The '87-up try does seem to hold the battery higher so hood clearance could be an issue with a taller battery, but it also holds Optima groups 75/25, 34, etc. unlike the '86 tray.
    Group 56 batteries are much more difficult to find now.....
    I had swapped a later model tray into my 84 lx 5.0 5spd onto the passenger side with some minor mods.
    I recently swapped that tray into my 2.3 T Gt 350 on the drivers side with no issues....

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ragtopjr View Post
    Group 56 batteries are much more difficult to find now.....
    I had swapped a later model tray into my 84 lx 5.0 5spd onto the passenger side with some minor mods.
    I recently swapped that tray into my 2.3 T Gt 350 on the drivers side with no issues....
    I haven't actively searched too hard last year but agree the Type 56 are not easy to find or buy. Dealers in Canada do not carry or order them. I have heard they could custom order but it seems no one local order enough quantity to order them in here.

I just had to buy a new battery for my car back in May. Googling for group 56 batteries only netted me 3 options - Wal-Mart ($120), Diehard/Advance ($200), and O'reillys ($200). As much as I hated to, went the Wal-Mart route. Couldn't bring myself to pay $200+ for a battery that will most likely only last a 2-3 years. I didn't see any Motorcraft 56's available while searching online and didn't try calling my local dealer, figured they'd be pricey also if they did have one. Contemplating a trunk-mount setup with a more common/cheaper battery size next time.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Fyi, O'Reilly's has a Motorcraft group 56 battery (BXT56A) for $135, plus core charge.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...TERY+56&pos=10
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Default Dealer is always worth a check for special pricing and deals

Motorcraft 65 battery msrp Jan 2022 for my Ranger was 139.99. MAX version, 36 mo.
    Motorcraft PLUS version was 109.99
    All the area Ford dealers here had the same standard prices for most group sizes and in stock.
    tax, core extra.
    Chain stores, big box, were all higher priced no matter what brand.
    Dealer wins unless non dealer battery is new, a name brand, and well under 100.00 total.
    Always check new battery voltage at the counter and before paying. If fresh, should be 12.6v +.

FEP Member

I haven't actively searched too hard last year but agree the Type 56 are not easy to find or buy. Dealers in Canada do not carry or order them. I have heard they could custom order but it seems no one local order enough quantity to order them in here.
    I have no problem getting 56s here in Winnipeg.
    https://manitobabattery.com/group-56/

Some questions here...... I have an 83 and will keep the stock battery location on the Pass side.....
    1. does this mean I have to get a group 56 battery if I keep the stock tray?
    2. Some comments here say a newer tray will fit with some mods.. Do you mean fit on the Pass side where the original tray was??
    3. Do i have to get a newer tray to install a larger battery?
    thanks

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Some questions here...... I have an 83 and will keep the stock battery location on the Pass side.....
    1. does this mean I have to get a group 56 battery if I keep the stock tray?
    2. Some comments here say a newer tray will fit with some mods.. Do you mean fit on the Pass side where the original tray was??
    3. Do i have to get a newer tray to install a larger battery?
    thanks
    Stock tray will only allow a very limited selection of batteries due to its longer, skinny profile.

I know with some slight mods I was able to fit the newer tray in which will allow for a 58 series battery on an 84 lx 50 rag with no A/C both on passenger side, I will be trying to do it on my 5.0 5 spd with A/C GT 350, and have made it work with one of my Turbo 4 rag Gt 350 on drivers side.
    I think the battery will sit higher with the new style tray....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12