Close

Default New brushes for weak window motor?

Lots of posts on replacing gears/plastic dowels. I've done all of that along with cleaning/lubing regulator(s). The issue is both door motors struggle to get the glass back up... barely makes it up to the top. New motor choices are not encouraging and I'd really like to keep my original hi-torque motors.

Has anyone changed brushes in a weak motor successfully? Did it bring back the strength?

I haven't opened the motors up yet, but suspect the brushes are worn down.

Suggestions welcome!
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

I just swapped out the rear window motor on my 86 Bronco due to the OEM crapping out. I used Dorman Part # 742-251 for the window motor. I have to say I am happy with the overall power and ability. Works very much like new. It's early, so I could be unhappy at a later date, but for the time being, I will continue to use them. I actually bought both sides 742-251 and 742-250 since online couldn't determine if the rear window used a left or right side motor. I will buy a replacement and use the two motors to replace the motors in my 86 Road Racer. The current motors work, but as you stated then struggle just a bit. I figure if it can raise the full size rear window with new weatherstripping all around it should do just fine with a Mustang side glass. I purchased mine through Amazon for @ $26 a side so can't beat that. Good Luck! Oh and the motors come with multiple wiring options, so it will connect to your existing pigtail with no issues.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

If a motor needs new brushes, it usually won't run at all. Replacing the brushes won't make it work any faster or stronger.

FEP Power Member

Ford sold rebuilt motor assemblies so they are rebuildable. There are some brand names on some. I suspect there are some companies out there.

I do find rev'ing the engine increases the window motor speed. Of course this increases the alternator output and voltage. Has anyone gone to an high output alternator and seen an instant fix on the window motor?
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Ford sold rebuilt motor assemblies so they are rebuildable. There are some brand names on some. I suspect there are some companies out there.

I do find rev'ing the engine increases the window motor speed. Of course this increases the alternator output and voltage. Has anyone gone to an high output alternator and seen an instant fix on the window motor?
    I have 130 amp alternators on all my Foxes and although it does help it doesn't seem to make the old window motors function like new ones. Same is true for the window motors on my 86 Bronco (same exact motors as Mustangs). The engine running does make the windows roll up and down better, but they still drag at certain points and again are not fast nor consistent. That is 14volts of power compared to 12.6 volts.

I would bet that Ford's rebuilds are nothing more than a good cleaning and installing new nylon bushings. I doubt they rewind the actual electric motors are even touch them. None of these are even rebuilt by Ford, just a third part vendor with the Ford label on them.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

All good points. Still running stock alternator for now. One day I’ll upgrade.

Trey, completely agree on the ‘rebuilt’ stuff — especially electrical components. Such a loose term now days.

I’ll just grab some replacements for now.

Appreciate the feedback, fellas
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Just put a new window motor is sons CVic. Newer style motor from NaPA. Works great, fast and smooth. Lifetime warranty. Like around 44$
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0