Close

Default Driver's kick panel area ('84 GT vert)

Calling all convertible owners.

This is my first convertible, so there's a few things I'm not used to compared to my '86 coupe. One thing is due to the wider, boxier rocker panels on a convertible (combined with the extra wiring for a convertible), the kick panel/carpet in the left front corner is not laying down neat. Wanted some input on this as my car did not have carpet when purchased. I believe the wiring is routed correctly. Just seems that even when all the plugs are pushed inside the body opening, the rest of the harness doesn't have anywhere good to go which causes the bottom of the kick panel to bulge out and carpet immediately below it.

Am I overthinking this? Anyone dwelt with this? I have extra jute I can lay to make things more smooth, but wanted it as tight as possible first.

BTW; in the pic below, the wiring won't stay in the recessed area unless pushed and held. I can get that area ok when pushing the kick panel in place, it's mainly where the harness continues below and turns to run along the rocker that's making things look bad.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  kickpanel_wiring.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  283.4 KB
    Name:  kickpanel_wiring2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  236.0 KB
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

I have only owned one convertible and that was a later model that was a parts donor, so not 100% on how everything sorts out different than the non convertibles.

Many of my cars have a plastic shield to help hold the wiring in place. Works ok, but often if the wiring has been pulled/messed with it takes a bunch of work to fit it all back in. All of the connectors should push back into the opening in the kick panel with only maybe the blue one left out. You might need to disconnect the wiring and work them one by one to fit them in the best you can. If needed you could make a block off plate out of hard plastic or even a thin sheet of steel/aluminum and use a couple of push pins to hold it in place to keep the wiring in the kick panel. That should help the carpet to fit better. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-24-2021 at 08:54 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great idea, Trey. I definitely need to play around with the plugs. Pulling the dash disturbed that wiring.
    86 LX Coupe

Here's pictures from my 84 after removing my original carpet and I don't believe the left kick panel had ever been off before.

Name:  IMG_2697.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  26.4 KBName:  IMG_2695.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  23.1 KBName:  IMG_2691.JPG
Size:  27.9 KBName:  IMG_2689.JPG
Size:  31.6 KBName:  IMG_2688.JPG
Size:  26.8 KB
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Hope this helps OB
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Quote Originally Posted by mongusta View Post
    Here's pictures from my 84 after removing my original carpet and I don't believe the left kick panel had ever been off before.

Name:  IMG_2697.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  26.4 KBName:  IMG_2695.JPG
Size:  23.1 KBName:  IMG_2691.JPG
Size:  27.9 KBName:  IMG_2689.JPG
Size:  31.6 KBName:  IMG_2688.JPG
Size:  26.8 KB
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Mr. OB!
    86 LX Coupe

The carpet is different...longer...in areas and the aftermarket carpet is generic for the other cars. It comes up short in that area...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The carpet is different...longer...in areas and the aftermarket carpet is generic for the other cars. It comes up short in that area...
    Yes, very obvious. Got the other side to fit ok by making relief cuts & adding additional jute padding. Can't beat original.

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Yes, very obvious. Got the other side to fit ok by making relief cuts & adding additional jute padding. Can't beat original.
    What helped mine was I peeled the insulation backing off the original carpet and laid it back down in the car. Then I put the new carpet over that. It not only helped those spots but also helped with sound deadening.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Unfortunately my original carpet was long gone when I got the car. Makes it more interesting trying to get everything fitting halfway decent. Thanks for the tips. I’ll post pics in my build thread when the seats go back in
    86 LX Coupe