Close

South Eastern Pa. Bringing up the rear of The rat race...

Default 86 Vert at test and tune night

I ran my 86 GT 5 Speed Convertible at test and tune night. The car is stock and my best time was 15.9 . I am looking to hopefully get into the high 14s,14.7. What are some recommendations? I have the stock 86 E6 headed engine Speed density etc. I am thinking start with a good tune up maybe bump timing to 13 and some drag radials. I think I can pick up some time in the launch. i do have a 92 roller cam motor out of a truck that I could possibly build up, it has the E7 heads. But that would be later on, right now I am looking to do some basic low buck tweaks to try and get a second or so quicker with it. I wanted to add I have the stock rear gears the 2:73 s
    Last edited by Four Eyed Fox; 05-24-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Gears and tires...tweak from there...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks. I was thinking a set of drag radials and 3:73s. You know the obvious things short of a MAF Conversion and major engine build etc. I would like to get into hopefully mid to low 14s before any major mods.

Default 86 Vert at test and tune night

Gears and tires will make a big difference.
    Then work on your driving.

You can also work on removing weight. There a guy who takes his track hawk to our track and guts the interior in the pits, it’s funny to see the big pile of seats and carpet.

Don’t make the car too fast unless you want to spend all your time drag racing and fixing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your car being a vert...it's already the heaviest Foxbody scenario...I would be putting sub frame connectors and checking the bushings and/or attachments for the rear end out back. We used to disconnect the front sway bar for better hook up, then realized it's just a couple more bolts to remove it and shed some weight to boot...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for all the replies, I'd like to get the car to 14.7 in the 1/4 I think that's reasonable without too much of a major mod. I do want to go over it completely and realize the drag radials may hammer the rear suspension...I am starting with tuneup and motor trans mounts. the car has over 100 K on the odo so I think its time for the mounts...I've owned it since 85 K so I'm sure the car is mostly stock. i do want to end up running drag radials so I will go over the rear suspension next. I am reading poly bushings on the rear upper control arms isnt recommended for a street car. One thing I have noticed is, my harmonic balancer, the rubber seems to be ripped. The timing is still where i set it, but if the ring slipped it may be off. Going down the track, the car runs fine till about third gear then it seems to fall flat, on acceleration. Or more like it quits pulling and levels off, I am not sure what RPM,but it isn't too excessive maybe 3000-3500 I wasn't watching the tach. Maybe I shoulkd push it more.... I want to be sure the tuneup is good and the timing etc
    Last edited by Four Eyed Fox; 05-27-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Welcome to the wallet draining addiction known as drag racing. Be careful, it can get completely out of control before you know it.

I'd agree that tires and gears are probably the best starting point from the bang for the buck standpoint. Once you get the car to stick good you'll soon find the next weakest part when it breaks, and you'll replace that part with something stronger. That's just how it is. Before long it won't even bother you when breakage happens you'll just see it as an excuse to upgrade. Or maybe that's just me!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Definitely get that balancer replaced asap, or you'll be building that other engine sooner than you planned! As far as your first performance upgrades, tires and gear are going to make a big difference. After that, my suggestion is subframe connectors and lower control arms (you may also consider torque box reinforcements.... They're pretty cheap insurance). Once that's done, look at heads, cam, and intake. I wouldn't worry at all about 100k miles. That's nothing. You will want to be careful about cam selection with those pistons, however.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Is there a tried and true cam upgrade for the 86 e6 headed engine with speed density? I do have E7s from a 92 engine sitting in my garage...I was also thinking of just piling the 86 engine and swapping in the 92 engine purely for the track, I may stick with speed density at first and see where that goes...

I don't drag race my 86 GT 'vert, but for the autocross and open track events I participate in, lowering the top adds weight to the rear and sort of balances the car.

As for cheap power adding mods, do the e-7 heads (be sure to check PtV (I had plenty of room), swap the upper to the better flowing 87+ with the bigger T/B, swap your stock computer to a DA1 speed density and add after market shorty headers. I also swapped in a complete 8.8 with 3.27 gears from an auto car. These little mods really lit-up my 86 for minor cost.
    Last edited by qtrracer; 06-03-2021 at 03:30 PM.