Close

Default Check engine light

my car is a 1980 coupe retaining the 4 eyed dash. The engine is a 93 5.0 using all efi equipment. Also a 1993 A9l ECU. Im using a 1986 body harness thats been converted to mass air. The check engine light has been wired already but only comes on when I turn the car over and then quickly goes away as my computer is not throwing any codes. Problem is that the smog ref says the light needs to come on while the key is in the ON position and then go away when the car is running if there are no codes being thrown. Can anyone please help me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to know the proper way to wire a check engine light so that it comes on while the key is in the ON position.

Check with NAVYCAT.

I think some dipsh1+ is being a dweeb.

The transfer of 93 engine into 86 just requires 86 electrical emissions. Not full OBDII emissions. 1990 to 1993 was a Federal transitional year to the two earth ALDL, the DTC link got another earth for Lincoln LSCs and some F trucks. Those two cars were Speed Density everywhere, even California. So Dealer Fault Codes used the early Six jumper DTC with an extra earth to get PID's realtime data info. The MIL light is not the way to get that data.

If they are gonna require a unique rewire to OBD1.5 specs, then you have to copy the later Malfunction Indicator Lamp protocol.

Example is 1985 EFi's with Central Fuel Injection which had no MIL light hookup...it was just the oil presure light.

When swapping a new SEFI 86 into an 85, no MIL "Check Engine Light" is required. Scotts white 1985 California LTD is an example. He had the I/M test tech haul him up over the same matter.

Hope others will weigh in.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea they are being really strict about this(i live in california) I passed everything else including the sniffer and no codes being thrown. But he failed me for not having a check engine light working properly. Im going to look for some 1993 wiring diagrams to try to wire it correctly, problem is ive already paid a shop to do it and they couldnt figure it out. Only comes on very briefly when i turn the car over and quickly disappears when running.