Close

Thread: Cooling issue

Default Cooling issue

Hey there first time poster. Have an 85 Capri that I purchased recently. Has a 306 in it. Holley 650 carb. edelbrock intake and heads, mild cam. It was running rich since i got it. Black smoke from exhaust under load, smells quite rich. Ive tuned the carb and it seems to be where it should be now. Ive noticed recently that the car is not getting up to temp. Gauge reading low-low normal and seems to drop when cruising on the highway. I’m going to start with the thermostat, assuming it may be stuck open. Does anyone know what type of cooling fans came in the carbed 85 5.0’s? Wondering if maybe there is an issue to look for with it. Any other tips on what to check next? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you confirmed the temp? The gauges weren't exactly known for accuracy.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Senior Member

Sounds like someone put in a colder thermostat. In regards to the fan, are you talking mechanical or electric? It should have came with mechanical.

Remove the thermostat and see what temp is stamped on it. If in doubt put it in heating water and check the temp of the water when it starts to open.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Well i bought an infrared thermometer and confirmed that it actually is getting up to temp. Learned my lesson on the wonky gauges. On to the next thing i suppose. Still trying to figure out why its running rich. This is my first carb’ed car. Going to try some smaller jets. Any other tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

Possible blown power valve. That will make it run rich all the time, except WOT.