Close

FEP Member

Default Power steering pump fittings

1984 ltd lx, I recently purchased and installed a 347. The engine came with a March Performance serpentine setup. I am not sure of the power steering pump brand, but the high pressure side has what appears to be a 6AN male fitting. My high pressure hose has a male fitting. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The original OEM fitting most likely installed directly into the housing either at the nut directly above the machined surface or directly into the machined surfaced. Without knowing for sure, what the pump it off of, no idea if your current hose is the correct fitting or not. Most likely the easiest solution is a custom made hose with Aircraft fittings at both ends. If going into the Fox PS rack, here is one option in regards to the rack fittings. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/M...004-P1001.aspx

Although you can find them elsewhere. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looking at your pics, appears to be 2 fittings ( both look like hydraulic fittings) The one in the pump appears to be a sae male to sae female adapter.
    The 90 with male jic to sae male. AN fittings and JIC fittings share the same angle and thread pitch. Any Hydraulic shop can set you up with the fitting
    and or hose.
    Good luck and hope this helps

That's a Saginaw Type 2 pump. They are found on later model Fords and GMs. You should be able to remove that AN fitting and have a standard female threaded port in the pump itself. One of the issues you may run into, unless it's been taken care of already, is that the pressure output of a Type 2 pump is way too high (1500psi) for the Mustang/LTD/Fox power steering system (900-1000psi). You will need a shim kit to adjust the pressure relief valve to reduce the pressure. Borgeson makes a nice kit with thorough instructions: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001

Another option is to use a kit like this: https://www.scramspeed.com/products/...x-ls1-ls6.html

The kit is for an LS swap but I believe it will have the correct ORB fittings - I don't know that the hose lengths will be correct for your setup. This kit includes pressure and return hoses, and the pressure relief shim kit. You will need to find an external reservoir and get a piece of hose to go from the reservoir to the inlet of the pump.

I plan on using this type pump (off a '97 Explorer) in my car, so I'm learning about PS systems...
    Last edited by TxMike64; 05-19-2021 at 03:40 PM.

FEP Member

Where does the shim kit install?

FEP Member

Thanks for the info.