Close

Default Just got a 1986 SVO Stock. What upgrades boost HP?

I just got a pretty low mileage 86 SVO stock. I was thinking of getting it up to 350 Flywheel HP. I know that some upgrades for this are give ins, like a downpipe and bigger intercooler, but what parts specifically can boost the car to this point?

350 Flywheel HP is doable, but IMHO a lot of the Fun Factor of the SVO will suffer when trying to pull that HP out of the 2.3.

I highly recommend you check out this site. https://www.stinger-performance.com/

There is a ton of information that will help you get to your HP goals. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

If the SVO is in good condition, you might want to leave it stock. Build a 2.3T in a late 80s Mustang. If you need an engine, my buddy has 13 of them.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Trey and Mike have good points there, and yeah a front mount intercooler and a 3 inch exhaust,walbro 255 fuel pump, manual boost controller,ported exhaust manifold, afr gauge to monitor the ratio, and like Trey said Stinger has a lot of good stuff for the 2.3s, also turboford.org

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

Adding HP to a SVO is a slippery slope. I thought I was just going to due some mild upgrades to my car....and well yeah I fell into the rabbit hole of HP, handling, and braking
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

I was lucky enough to know Jim Whelan of Motion Dynamics for several years before his untimely passing. I was able to see, ride, and drive in several SVO's and other Foxes that he worked his magic on the 2.3 Turbo. In my experience most were a blast and generally enjoyable up around the 275-300 HP range in regards to a driver/cruiser/play toy. The ones that were pushing 350-400+ horsepower were a blast at full boost, but miserable the rest of the time. I vividly remember a 1984 SVO that a guy had Jim and I do. I painted it Bright Yellow (NOT MY CHOICE) with black accents on the hood scoop and sail panels as well as a Saleen body kit for the sides and rear. Jim did a Volvo 4v head swap, HUGE intercooler, and all the associated mods to make it work. The SVO was an absolute DOG until the boost HIT. Then it was an absolute Terror. The problem was it trying to drive it on the street. The boost was like an on/off switch. There was no modulating it and if it went into boost at the wrong time, there could be H$LL to pay.
    Unfortunately the owner gave it to his 16 year old son, who managed to wrap it around a tree about 6 months into driving it. The car was a beast and probably still beat most cars today in a straight line, but driving it was a bit of a handful and challenging in my experience. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Good explanations here. This is what I'm experiencing with a car that I just purchased. It seems to have tons and tons of power above 4000 rpm, but like someone said here, the power is like a light switch. To me this car was built for high hp and low et's, not for cruising. I'm guessing what I want is "modified stock"? Not "modded race only". Good stuff guys.

So....what's the formula for 285-300 rwhp and fun driving?