Close

Default Poly Bushings - Need Guidance

Hello All,

Planning to do some suspension work on my 85 T-Top GT. I want to improve handling as much as I can without completely killing the ride quality.

That said, I'm putting in an 8.8 with factory upper control arms and MM lowers with poly bushings.

As far as other suspension bushings on the car, what can be upgraded to poly without taking a major hit on ride quality? For example, can I go poly in the front and rear sway bars?

Thanks in advance.

BG

I generally run poly in the front sway bar bushings and end links. The rear bar there are no bushings, so nothing to change there. I personally run poly in the front control arms too or if budget permits, then I run MM front control arms with Delrin bushings.

If you haven't already install a set of MM full length SFC that will make a huge improvement in the overall ride quality and handling of any T-top Fox. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

What he said

I did the same thing, poly in the front, including the rack, since it's easier to remove it to get the front A-arm bolts out, plus poly lower rears and rubber uppers, already had the MM subframe connectors, really impressed with out well it handles and not too rough of a ride.

On a T-top, also add the STB as well as the G-load brace. These pieces will help support the front suspension at the cowl and keep the front suspension more planted.

The thing about ride quality is the design of the stock bushings. Replacing the front with poly will eliminate the bind caused by the stock bushing design but will add NVH. As for the rear, the uppers are the problem. The uppers are designed to lengthen and twist through bushing compliance. You cannot replace those stock upper bushings with poly; doing so just makes the ride/handling worse. But the design of the stock bushings creates bind as they articulate which increases wheel rate resulting in a degraded ride quality. Short of going to a completely redesigned rear suspension (read T/A, IRS, etc.) you are stuck with this problem.