Close

Default Steering Rack Bushing Sleeves

Hey all,

My 85 GT didn't have the long sleeves that go through the k-member and the steering rack bushings, it just had the small sleeves inside the bushings (see pics). Well, I bought a new steering rack and bushings but the small sleeves have an ID too small for my bolts and I had already scrapped the old rack without taking those out. Anyone happen to have an old rack around with the small sleeves in the bushings? I thought about buying the long sleeves and new smaller diameter bolts and then drilling out my k-member but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Thanks!

Name:  Steering Rack Sleeve.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  13.4 KB
    Name:  Steering Rack Bushing Sleeve.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  12.3 KB

Reuse same bolts that work? What happened to the small sleeve bolts?
    Buy one long sleeve and cut it in two short sections?
    Do the current bolts fit the long sleeves?
    Will the long sleeves fit the new rack bushings?
    Grade 8 hardware or big box home store items?
    Would not drill k-member. Correct parts combo will work.

Bolts this size?
    https://www.npdlink.com/product/nut-.../168242/150960
    https://www.npdlink.com/product/wash.../168246/150960

"Do the current bolts fit the long sleeves?" - No my bolts are larger in diameter than the ID of the long sleeves, my k-frame didn't have the smaller bolts that are used with the long sleeves. The bolt holes in my k-member are large enough for my stock bolts but not large enough for the long sleeve. I guess what I would need to do is purchase smaller diameter bolts that fit the long sleeves and then drill out the bolt holes in my k-member.

I have an '83 and just wound up getting new poly bushings for the earlier cars and used the inner flanged sleeves in the new poly.

This was a good 20+ years ago, so I doubt that type is still available. (I just checked, they're not).

I did the later style tube/thinner bolt style on my '84 Cougar. The drilling wasn't that bad, and things weren't any weaker.

I ran some custom-made AL ones for a while, but they were offset and I didn't need those with a new susp set-up.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I installed a Cardone 83 performance rack, and matching hoses and pump in my 79.
    Rack came with bushings. Cannot recall if 1 or 2 piece, rubber or urethane. Stock design.
    Thick steel inserts with ridges on the ends, no tube sleeves. Was bolt and go. Reused same stock bolts.
    Two piece Cardone bushings are listed to fit 79-93.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=554&jsn=554
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=547&jsn=547
    Last edited by gr79; 05-26-2021 at 01:17 PM.

gr79, SWEET!!! I appreciate the help! I'll probably just order the first one that has the bushings and inserts together for $16!

Glad to help.
    Just went outside to look at the old rack i still have.
    Is a TRW version 22-201T Cardone like the oe was (#2 never worked right, pump noise too)
    From what i can tell, has the one piece 6.00 bushings.
    The backside of rubber is same dia as the rack hole. Frontside has the lip and ridged bushing.
    Seem to remember the new rack has lips on both sides, thus cannot be pushed thru and is 2 piece.
    From what i see, some kits have just the plain bushing, a washer and tube. Do not look very robust to me.

Rack 3 is Ford 15:1 AZ Duralost 22-207. Updated rack and everything 2015 due to off the shelf TRW n/a.
    Working perfectly no pump noise whining or leaks. Definitely a different feel compared to the oe 79 rack.

Hey gr79,

I bought the first bushings on your post and they do fit the rack and my bolts. Once I get it mounted I'll take a pic.

Thanks again!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBill View Post
    Name:  Steering Rack 1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  Steering Rack 2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.6 KB
    This one looks identical to the one I got from LMR.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.