Close



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
  1. #26
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Oh don't get me started on this subject! The smog laws and tech ability to validate them are broken here in CA. Most smog shop techs I visited looked at my car and said NFW! I have a referee sticker (M81 Federal from 1981) but it's too old and not in their system anymore. They just said go see the referee even though I have all CA smog parts on here and functional. I even show them the VECI diagram to confirm and they find a reason to move on because they don't like doing EVAP and EGR tests because it takes too much time. Because of past under the table deals; they can lose their license and pay big fines if something passes but later is flagged. They prefer the late model cars for "testing" where they just plug in the OBD port and if the car says it's ready the test is done and no rolling tailpipe test. Easiest $50 they can make without getting dirty.
    Hey man,

    From the most humble 3.3 liter 87 hp X code to the best CFi HO 5.0

    As long as the stuff is on,














    Read again Page 34 from HR 1988 August




    1. Pre OBD2 (Pre 1996 ) cars don't have a sage log of Emissions equipment checks that prove function of
    2. the Cat, (via comparison between upstream before cat, down stream after cat)
    3. AIR,
    4. EGR,
    5. EVAP,
    6. unleaded only fuel filler flap hasn't been changed to allow leaded AVGAS,
    7. Computer function (often not equipped) ,
    8. O2 sensor function (often not equipped) ,
    9. The 25 and 50 thou statutory bleed cyclic tune function tests (if equipped) ,
    10. All of which resolve a 1000 item P series fault code, with histogram via Executive Command Access code.

    Pre OBD 1.5's (1990 CA-1994 CA) They have some of that activated PIDs stuff.
    Pre OBD 1.5's, none of it at all, even GM's ALDL Check Engine light systems from 1979 to 1990.

    Fords non feedback 1983-1985 M code 4bbl 5.0 makes better power and economy than the 1986 and 1987 feedback SEFI HO 5.0, and 1984.5-1985 Central Fuel Injection HO. The early 1986-1992 SEFI HO and 1984.5-1985 M code CFi don't have a log of PID's, and Ford was very, very smart on the whole V8 truck, Police Cruiser and Fox HO program engine options from the 1982 2-bbl 5.0 Fox, 1980 Panther, 1983 F-truck and E-van variants, and especially, the 138 hp non HO H code 351M's.

    Engine swaps from same year or newer engines that have Car Vin equivalents, read up about them.







    Ford was smarter than GM and AMC, but not Mopar, who used the ELB system with the Feedback Rochester carb right up to 1988 in 4bbl 318 Dodges.

    The whole thing got reigned in by SAE engineers and the automotive computer industry in the OBD development;

    Any 1978 to 1992 non feedback or Feedback 5.0 or 5.8 is Public Enemy No 1, because its got no functional checks except by technicians who know the eventual 103 VECI components by name and function.

    OBD2 fixed all that stuff, and makes Vehicle Emissions Component Instructions so lovely and easy. The 1320 feet of wire replaced 1320 feet of vacuum hosing, and decimated the total number or required emission devices, Thermactor AIR was gone on the later 5.0 SEFI's for instance, but also a huge hunk of other emissions doo dads that now can be controlled by Pulse Width Modulation from simple wires.

    To avoid being victimized by CARB, BAR and I/M tests, you just have to remain wise over what is included in the VECI, and for G''ds sake, don't tell the ignorant dumb asses at the emissions testing place what they should already know. The only reason for Pre OB2 hate and lack of decision making is because of pure ignorance and the inability of people to understand that emissions devices are just diodes and throttles and a means to an end.

    If the engines devices are functioning, and things like coils and distributor caps and Vacuum Operated modulators are working and not rusted out, and the engine is clean inside and got good leak-down percentages and the cold cranking compression isn't to high and the catalysts are still bricked inside and still operative, remain firm over the responsibility of the emissions guy to pass your car. EGR function is important, and plenty of cars pass without the cats working. If you are able to have approved updated cats fitted, be very careful to keep the original, even if its damaged.



    I'm a lab technician, I've dealt with these Smoke and mirror's issues from international agencies which are frequently being controlled by non USA societies. Just talk to SEMA and decide if you want to sign the RPM Act, or if you trust diplomacy instead.

    I'm in both camps. Love me Carburetors, can cope with the simplicity of OBD1.5 and above injection. Don't be scared of either of this stuff. Its ultimately very easy. The real evil, is someone trying to con you with alternatives that aren't legal. Don't be easily conned.

  2. #27

    Default California Emissions

    The two biggest hurdles for us Californians, at least in my area, is first finding a shop that will perform the test on these carbd cars the other is finding a technician that actually knows what they are looking at. Testing my all stock 79 is an ordeal as they suspect everything has been tampered with or is not stock. Its all BS anyway. IF the CARB and environmentalist were sincerely concerned with emissions then they would allow us to use modern parts that improve efficiency and reduce emissions. Relax the rules on use of factory replacement parts as well as modern engine swaps is the better approach. Take a look at the prices snd limited availability of CARB approved cats.
    Last edited by saleen428; 05-19-2021 at 10:32 AM.

  3. #28
    FEP Super Member NAVYCAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Montebello, CA
    Posts
    3,391

    Default

    And now that my capri is done, my next project (I think) is that I want to build a V8 Focus. from what I know is that say I get an 2004 focus and get a parts mustang GT car it needs to be newer than the 2004 focus with all smog for the newer mustang. and can not use a truck engine, so I will have to take it to an B.A.R. referee station to get inspected to get that special sticker to prove its legal everytime its due for a smog test
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

  4. #29

    Default California Emissions

    Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    And now that my capri is done, my next project (I think) is that I want to build a V8 Focus. from what I know is that say I get an 2004 focus and get a parts mustang GT car it needs to be newer than the 2004 focus with all smog for the newer mustang. and can not use a truck engine, so I will have to take it to an B.A.R. referee station to get inspected to get that special sticker to prove its legal everytime its due for a smog test
    Would love to have this done to a Focus wagon

  5. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    But will they waste their time having to actually buy setups that check actual emissions.
    Even Jersey figured out that's a lot of money for less and less non OBDII cars on the road, especially
    ancient fox bodies.

    Even if I didn't already have antique plates, there are no emission tests on anything OBD I. Too many different
    protocols to tap into the different manufacturer's ECM's themselves. And it's not going to change actual overall state
    emissions in any way, testing every pre OBDII car.

    You can check into it just in case, but I wouldn't worry about it all that much right now.
    That's good to hear. Yeah though, I hadn't thought of all the different computer systems they'd have to deal with in order to find out what they'd want to know.

    Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    The two biggest hurdles for us Californians, at least in my area, is first finding a shop that will perform the test on these carbd cars the other is finding a technician that actually knows what they are looking at. Testing my all stock 79 is an ordeal as they suspect everything has been tampered with or is not stock. Its all BS anyway. IF the CARB and environmentalist were sincerely concerned with emissions then they would allow us to use modern parts that improve efficiency and reduce emissions. Relax the rules on use of factory replacement parts as well as modern engine swaps is the better approach. Take a look at the prices snd limited availability of CARB approved cats.
    Yeah, it sure smacks of politicians' usual M.O. saying they want to accomplish one objective, when what they really want to do is something completely different. It seems like their main goal is just to harass people that have old cars. Just make it really a lot of trouble to even have one, you know? It's ironic, seeing as how California was where hot rodding really started.

    A V8 Focus project sounds super cool! I'm guessing you'd get one of those kits? I've seen a '12-18 Focus that had a whole drivetrain including the IRS from an S550! You should do that. haha
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  6. #31
    FEP Super Member NAVYCAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Montebello, CA
    Posts
    3,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That's good to hear. Yeah though, I hadn't thought of all the different computer systems they'd have to deal with in order to find out what they'd want to know.



    Yeah, it sure smacks of politicians' usual M.O. saying they want to accomplish one objective, when what they really want to do is something completely different. It seems like their main goal is just to harass people that have old cars. Just make it really a lot of trouble to even have one, you know? It's ironic, seeing as how California was where hot rodding really started.

    A V8 Focus project sounds super cool! I'm guessing you'd get one of those kits? I've seen a '12-18 Focus that had a whole drivetrain including the IRS from an S550! You should do that. haha
    Yes I went over to the company that makes the kit, real nice people there and they have 90% of the kit on the shelve ready to go but they told me that it might be the last one they build
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

  7. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    Yes I went over to the company that makes the kit, real nice people there and they have 90% of the kit on the shelve ready to go but they told me that it might be the last one they build
    That's awesome! As to the Capri being "done"... I am not familiar with this concept.
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  8. #33
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That's awesome! As to the Capri being "done"... I am not familiar with this concept.
    Navy Concept, Brad. I don't understand it either...

    You do remeber our discussion on the Rapid Transit System, your Transit Connect with a 5.0? Its a Focus underneath...

    V8=V8 Brother



  9. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Navy Concept, Brad. I don't understand it either...

    You do remeber our discussion on the Rapid Transit System, your Transit Connect with a 5.0? Its a Focus underneath...

    V8=V8 Brother


    That would be cool. It had to make room in our garage for the Focus ST, but my parents have it now. Although, my dad never did V8 swap his Ranger like I've been trying to convince him to do...
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  10. #35
    FEP Power Member Hemlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Quartz Hill, California
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    Don't even get me started on California smog! They tighten the smog requirements on our cars every year hoping we will get tired of jumping through all the hoops and junk our cars. It's only a matter of time that even with brand new parts our cars will barely squeak by smog and if you have any mods you are SCREWED!

    Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 07-03-2021 at 03:48 AM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

    My RS in Action

  11. #36
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Don't even get me started on California smog! They tighten the smog requirements on our cars every year hoping will will get tired of jumping through all the hoops and junk our cars. It's only a matter of time that even with brand new parts our cars will barely squeak by smog and if you have any mods you are SCREWED!

    Robert
    Any problems, contact Alec Pepper or


    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dan-sumerel-a1044a20/
    Dan Sumerel of Performance Consultants
    Jan 1982 – Apr 1992

    was an upscale Hot Rod shop that modified all kinds of vehicles from Corvettes to Motor Homes, for better performance.

    It was the first business of that type to be raided by the EPA but given a clean bill of health as the vehicles we modified passed all current emissions tests and retained all factory emissions equipment.

    That got PC a feature spot in the August 1986 issue of Hot Rod Magazine.

    The issue is always

    1. Visual,
    2. CARB/BAR,
    3. then I/M Test

    As others here have said, if it was just the I/M Test, the rising rate of OEM verses a factor on the four gas assessment should be all that's required. Instead, its a vendetta against 1978 to 1995 Non OBD2 cars. But Hemlock, even ODB2 cars are harassed...Remember your Dodge 300?


    The key here is understanding the visual, the CARB/BAR part. The I/M Test passes, they are easy.

    The way to ace this is play dumber than a sheep, and be smarter than a snake on the laws. They are all playing the classical legal charade, because once you codify it in law, you then have to enforce...ALWAYS.

  12. #37

    Default

    It should also be noted that the CARB members are not voted in but are appointed positions by the Governor and state legislature. As such, you can imagine how well they represent us citizens of the state

  13. #38
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    The world watches this bungling flexing of Anti Gasoline and Diesel Autocracy. I'm in love with the responsible and smart moves the USA has made with the Clean Air Act, from its progress in 1963 to 2020, but in six months it has oveseen by very heavy handed, non aligned behaviour, namely the EPA and CARB and BAR. Each hasn't consolidated it's original statement of intent to just police simple operational competence of the basic emissions systems. The rule now is on Totalitarianism and Fines. And just like it is in Algeria where if you put a low restriction exhaust on your Peugeot 504, you are a criminal. Preventing people tinkering At All with any OEM vehicle and saying VIN stamped cars cannot have non standard intake systems, including a blanket ban on anti detonation injection, nitrous oxide, exhaust mods, turbos, superchargers, cam changes, pistons and axle and trans not stock. Thats Authoritarinizm. Jeff Davis in 1988 assured us this wouldn't happen. It Now has. Re read Hot Rod August 1988 here. I've posted links to the guy the EPA raided first in 1987 on page 2 here on Richard Holdeners latest discussion on Emission Control and Modification, here


    https://youtu.be/POXe3wJPlk0


    If fines were only about clean air and the carbon foot print, and not banning modifications, life would be sweet.

    Shame.

    The quest to modify requires responsibility to do the right thing.

    Policing just the tail pipe and IM test, and not being Authoritarian is the way Foward.

    An example is not just the DiesEl Brothers but this lucid and sensible response here


    https://youtu.be/BIbsY5-z0BE8

    The visual inspection is now trying to ban a 1980 Ford Mustang Turbo going back on the road.

    Sheer Operational Incompetence and hate for Joe Public pepole.

  14. #39
    FEP Super Member Gemini1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    I've always had an easy time passing California emissions with my last 2 Foxes. The only problem I've ever had was the last test on my 83. It passed emissions perfectly, but the idle was running a bit fast because the idle control solenoid had gone bad and we needed to find a replacement. Thank the car gods for the internet...problem solved.
    Bryan

    1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

  15. #40

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised if the current administration felt the need to swing way too far the other way since the previous one had zero oversight on such things whatsoever. I think the fact that was let slip for so long is entirely to blame for the US manufacturers abandoning cars entirely. Thanks a lot jerks! It makes sense to me to push harder on the OEMs in regard to new vehicles given that, but it looks like they're blissfully ignorant of what they're trying to do with classic cars. The president is a fan of classic cars, so maybe there's hope there.

    Gemini, are your cars modified? The situation I have on my hands is, the mechanicals on my cars bear zero resemblance to their original configuration. Although they could pass for stock '90 Mustang...
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  16. #41
    FEP Super Member Gemini1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the current administration felt the need to swing way too far the other way since the previous one had zero oversight on such things whatsoever. I think the fact that was let slip for so long is entirely to blame for the US manufacturers abandoning cars entirely. Thanks a lot jerks! It makes sense to me to push harder on the OEMs in regard to new vehicles given that, but it looks like they're blissfully ignorant of what they're trying to do with classic cars. The president is a fan of classic cars, so maybe there's hope there.

    Gemini, are your cars modified? The situation I have on my hands is, the mechanicals on my cars bear zero resemblance to their original configuration. Although they could pass for stock '90 Mustang...
    No, neither of my cars were modified. Both were all original cars, but they're still real picky because of the vintage of the car. You can tell that they don't want them to pass.
    Bryan

    1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

  17. #42
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    Looks like SEMA and PRI are trying to lead the charge on protecting off road tuners. See this

    https://youtu.be/lpPgY7S3E2g

    I'm not from the USA, but what the EPA did to Honda in 2000 and Hondata last month is a crime. I have no vested intrest except that what USA does, so does Australia and New Zealand. I'm glad more money is given to the EPA, but if it was about emissions, then the operational verification by roadside tests and IM testing should be all that's required. Making ECU companies and aftermarket off road builders guilty of selling Defeat devices like they did VW Audi. ...shame on the EPA. The verification testing is broken, and every dollar needs to go back into fixing Four Gas Emissions and not slugging the livelihoods of a dying cottage industry. It'd like what the French did to the rich. ...only shop owners...they ain't rich. Service and Maintanace of OEM emissions parts on on road vehicles should be Job One. Not this Salem Witch Hunt! Next, following the US EPA'S lead, the Aussie and Kiwis will copy this dopey Social Injustice Witch hunt like the a C grade Les Miserable re-run.

  18. #43
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    The two biggest hurdles for us Californians, at least in my area, is first finding a shop that will perform the test on these carbd cars the other is finding a technician that actually knows what they are looking at. Testing my all stock 79 is an ordeal as they suspect everything has been tampered with or is not stock. Its all BS anyway. IF the CARB and environmentalist were sincerely concerned with emissions then they would allow us to use modern parts that improve efficiency and reduce emissions. Relax the rules on use of factory replacement parts as well as modern engine swaps is the better approach. Take a look at the prices and limited availability of CARB approved cats.
    Ultimately, its about proving innocence and knowing more than the technician. That's not hard. As long as its there and doesn't look mucked around with.
    Orginal photos where here

    https://fordsix.com/threads/to-tune-or-rebuild.77065/

    Summarized in pist#20.

    (I have to update my pictures)

    The Big Four Clean Air Act packages were

    Ford: IMCO & Thermactor AIR
    GM: CCC
    Mopar: Um read below, Clean Air System (Later ELB 1, ELB 2 and ELB 3)
    AMC Jeep: Um read below; MOD


    "http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecute6/media/xecute6001/Popular%20Mechanics%20Apr%201974_p128.jpg.html"

    "http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecute6/media/xecute6001/Popular%20Mechanics%20Apr%201974_p129.jpg.html"

    "http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecute6/media/xecute6001/Popular%20Mechanics%20Apr%201974_p130.jpg.html"

    "http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecute6/media/xecute6001/Popular%20Mechanics%20Apr%201974_p131.jpg.html"

    "http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/xecute6/media/xecute6001/Popular%20Mechanics%20Apr%201974_p132.jpg.html"

  19. #44

    Default

    I saw a '65-6 Mustang at a show the other day with all its California systems in place. What a mess. My dad's '66 was originally sold in California, but his stuff is long gone.
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  20. #45
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    I have seen a Maverick with a chrome plated Air Pump. A 31 pound per hour AIR pump...They can look like a Paxton Supercharger if treated right! Hmmmm. Factory Reverse Torque Storm Turbo....

    The Smog stuff rusts and dies a death in the Salt Road states, but it can be repaired, welded and epoxied. Then it mops up Hydrocarbons or Nitrides of Oxygen or lowere the idle and load Co to sane levels.

    Same with return line fuel filters on AMCS, Mopars or Hot Intake Corrector valves...years of problems with hot engine idle that Ford and Carter and GM fixed in the early to late 60s. People are now futzing about with on tWide Bands and not getting anywhere because they don't know sheeettt.

    AK Miller's California 67 Mustang Hot Rod article car had a 1bbl truck 1.29 Auto lite truck carb with Thermactor AIR injection rail and made 105 rear wheel hp, up almost 40 hp and looking stock. The whole system is easy to maintain...just an air pump with 5 steel lines drilled through the log head to blow air onto the exhaust. The Boss 302 for California...pretty similar. Mesage to the real world outside FEP...Instead of cutting and shutting sh!+ talk on emissions...how about actually understanding why it's there, how to service and repair it, and understand that by 1975, it removed 85% of the Four gases Hydrocarbons, Monoxides of Carbon, and the two Nitrides of Oxygen.

    Carbed or modified 1966 to 1985 Clean Air cars shouldnt be picked on by the Smog Nazis. It's just that "those guys"... they haven't got their historic crap together...and are making a mockery of an emissions process that worked well enough from 1970 to 1985. Lazy OBDII guys shouldn't even be able to run a teat if they freaking Don't Know What the Systems are...

    EFI has been great for reducing all that smog gear. Literally 60 extra sub systems were removed from the Carb 1975 to 1985 cars when CFI and EFI got added.

    Better closed loop systems shouldn't be an issue if everthing else is still on

    And emissions 1966 to 1985 cars....why should it be that a Carb car with its smog gear on be any different?

    Answer?

    Lazy Ness and Pig Ignorant Dumba$$ Ness.

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    People are now futzing about with on tWide Bands and not getting anywhere because they don't know sheeettt.
    That hit a little too close to home.
    Brad

    '79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

  22. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I have seen a Maverick with a chrome plated Air Pump. A 31 pound per hour AIR pump...They can look like a Paxton Supercharger if treated right! Hmmmm. Factory Reverse Torque Storm Turbo....

    The Smog stuff rusts and dies a death in the Salt Road states, but it can be repaired, welded and epoxied. Then it mops up Hydrocarbons or Nitrides of Oxygen or lowere the idle and load Co to sane levels.

    Same with return line fuel filters on AMCS, Mopars or Hot Intake Corrector valves...years of problems with hot engine idle that Ford and Carter and GM fixed in the early to late 60s. People are now futzing about with on tWide Bands and not getting anywhere because they don't know sheeettt.

    AK Miller's California 67 Mustang Hot Rod article car had a 1bbl truck 1.29 Auto lite truck carb with Thermactor AIR injection rail and made 105 rear wheel hp, up almost 40 hp and looking stock. The whole system is easy to maintain...just an air pump with 5 steel lines drilled through the log head to blow air onto the exhaust. The Boss 302 for California...pretty similar. Mesage to the real world outside FEP...Instead of cutting and shutting sh!+ talk on emissions...how about actually understanding why it's there, how to service and repair it, and understand that by 1975, it removed 85% of the Four gases Hydrocarbons, Monoxides of Carbon, and the two Nitrides of Oxygen.

    Carbed or modified 1966 to 1985 Clean Air cars shouldnt be picked on by the Smog Nazis. It's just that "those guys"... they haven't got their historic crap together...and are making a mockery of an emissions process that worked well enough from 1970 to 1985. Lazy OBDII guys shouldn't even be able to run a teat if they freaking Don't Know What the Systems are...

    EFI has been great for reducing all that smog gear. Literally 60 extra sub systems were removed from the Carb 1975 to 1985 cars when CFI and EFI got added.

    Better closed loop systems shouldn't be an issue if everthing else is still on

    And emissions 1966 to 1985 cars....why should it be that a Carb car with its smog gear on be any different?

    Answer?

    Lazy Ness and Pig Ignorant Dumba$$ Ness.
    You are missing the point that many make in regards to the emission test flaws such as visual inspection definitions which either requires that either all stock parts are to be in place or replaced with a part that has an EO number (which is a very small number of parts). The argument is that the primary objective of emissions testing should be the emissions output for given vehicle make/model fall within spec and relax the visual inspection which represents the ‘how’ a vehicles emissions output is achieved. To oversimplify an example, if a catalytic converter needs replacing, then the consumer should have the freedom to purchase any converter so long as the emissions output that is controlled by the converter is within limits. Carburetor to FI is another example. It makes zero sense to be forced to use decades old technology, which has a high cost factor, just to pass the visual inspection. If the visual inspection would be relaxed it may result in even more reduced emission output when compared to its original parts/configuration. That is the issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #48
    FEP Power Member Hemlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Quartz Hill, California
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    The problem I have is the CARB and EPA folks tightening the restrictions on our cars to higher standards then when our cars were new! The stock systems the way they were designed can only do what they were designed to do. The bottom line is, THEY WANT OUR CARS OFF THE ROAD!

    JMO

    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

    My RS in Action

  24. #49
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,893

    Default

    Hemlock, the percentage rediction algorithm is based on the use of Oxygenated gasoline verses the stock 50 states emission test from the 7 mile LA Basin 12 point cycle. Running oxygenate gas is straight away 1.034 or 3.4% leaner of the stoichometric stock test data. All the stock Four gases are ampdoing up to suit. So the stock adjusted targets CARB uses and sets for the IM test is easy. There are a few ways to nail this within the law.

    Saleen428, no doubt I am missing the point. But I don't ever day "it's rigged, those guys have it in for me". Because it's about stoning Goliaths Amply sized head....every day I've got breat and the freedom of my own thoughts, even if imprisioned by tyranny, I'm gonna puff out my chest and loft bedrock using knowledge of the System.

    I've quoted you as my standard Go To Guy example. The point I make is that the visual test is as valid as that guys signing trust. It's the whole issue. The EPA's City Hall is rigged. But I know where I can I get the best legal
    council. Those parts are still around and I find stuff around often. Just like JA Cook did on his 1967 Ford Mustang 200 Six when the visual inspector said it should have thermactor ported lines to the two year only Iron log head with 5 smog ports.

    You gotta know to Undestand...

  25. #50

    Default

    [QUOTE=xctasy;

    Saleen428, no doubt I am missing the point. But I don't ever day "it's rigged, those guys have it in for me". Because it's about stoning Goliaths Amply sized head....every day I've got breat and the freedom of my own thoughts, even if imprisioned by tyranny, I'm gonna puff out my chest and loft bedrock using knowledge of the System.

    I've quoted you as my standard Go To Guy example. The point I make is that the visual test is as valid as that guys signing trust. It's the whole issue. The EPA's City Hall is rigged. But I know where I can I get the best legal
    council. Those parts are still around and I find stuff around often. Just like JA Cook did on his 1967 Ford Mustang 200 Six when the visual inspector said it should have thermactor ported lines to the two year only Iron log head with 5 smog ports.

    You gotta know to Undestand...[/QUOTE]

    What? Seems you are making assumptions on my behalf. Not a good look. Btw when was the last time you had your car emission tested in CA?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •