Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default California Emissions

So, lazy states like mine are enacting California emissions for better or worse, rather than considering how to do it better. I know there are plenty of guys that live there on here with modified cars. I really don't know that much about it, but I guess I should probably think about this before I find myself getting tattled on with a violation hotline like California has and busted.

How do you guys do it? What rules do you absolutely have to follow and which ones can you bend? My understanding of it is, you can't modify much of anything from stock. I know it's pretty much illegal to do that stuff in my state (Minnesota) anyway, but they don't enforce that at all right now. With all the stupid electric car fever, a crackdown on offenders is not hard for me to imagine.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member

The biggest challenge I see is finding/using Carb approved parts like Cats. Other stuff like egr valves are a real problem. Cali has different parts and really really hard to find.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

You sure they are adopting EVERY part of Ca. auto emissions checks, exactly the way Ca. does it.
    (including same year exemptions and no special categories like classic or antique that have emission exemption??)

Even jersey, that has been selling all new cars to meet Ca. emission since mid to late 2000's, exempts anything OBDI.
    (which is almost all fox bodies and certainly all 4 eyes). We also have NO inspection or reg fees on registered antiques,
    which is 25 years or older, and that's all 4 eyes at this point.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    You sure they are adopting EVERY part of Ca. auto emissions checks, exactly the way Ca. does it.
    (including same year exemptions and no special categories like classic or antique that have emission exemption??)

Even jersey, that has been selling all new cars to meet Ca. emission since mid to late 2000's, exempts anything OBDI.
    (which is almost all fox bodies and certainly all 4 eyes). We also have NO inspection or reg fees on registered antiques,
    which is 25 years or older, and that's all 4 eyes at this point.
    No, I'm not sure what exactly they plan to do. I think they are definitely planning to do like you say and make sure the NEW cars are compliant. But I do also know the US congress is considering the RPM act which deals with making (keeping?) it legal to modify a former road car into a purpose-built race car and therefore be exempt from emissions laws due to their limited use on racetracks only. In March all the youtube car channels were freaking out about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pTlDcMosKw&t=1s

Anyway, in the footage they show of one of the hearings, it seems clear to me that a lot of what we do to our cars isn't legal under 49-state rules anyway, so if some kind of enforcement begins, even on that, we all could be in big trouble. I mean, I knew that an off-road h-pipe was risky (which is why I am adding cats back onto mine), but I did NOT know that ALL emissions systems NEED to be completely UNALTERED from how they came from the factory. I believe California enforces this as well. If that is the case, I'm still screwed because my car does not have a wheezy 200 I-6 anymore. If I somehow get clear of the engine swap, am I okay with the thermactor system all removed? Despite having cats, they are not the original style cats from 1990, regardless of the fact they probably work as well or better than the original ones that require fresh air to be piped in to even work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imK3bBkjVLg&t=1s

That's why I don't see any California resident being able to do much of anything to improve performance, and I might find myself in the same boat! They'd take one look at my car, and be like "nope... "

And there's California specific EGR valves?! Why?! My car does still have its EGR system; it doesn't take up a bunch of space, and it doesn't really rob performance, so why not. But, I know my valve itself is just a parts-store replacement.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Power Member

In CA, there are some gray areas that bring up a lot of discussion. While CA spec emissions was done as sold new and it kind of makes sense to maintain that spec and not mix it with the 49 state spec. What get confusing is 49 state spec parts cannot be sold in CA but the cars are permitted to be registered in CA as used cars. They are inspected as 49 state emission standards with cars that have no CA emission label (missing label).

It is unrealistic the hold cars to an emission standard to which they were not built for. Probably illegal as well. I would expect them to hold you to the as built standard for the equipment to be intact. Testing to the emission standard as built or as in CA adjust it every few years. Not sure how they can do that but no one challenges CARB. Even the EPA avoids them.

My 84 still has the emission spec on the window from Ford.

Why would anyone worry like that when there are so few classics around?
    If it were a frog, bald eagle, nature land, there are laws to preserve history or species.
    Keep em stock or park em? Ban pre-emissions Model T's? What is the diff?

so what I did is since the capri is an 86 and the motor is out of a 94 GT all emission parts that came off the 94 MUST be on it. Other then replacing the 4 cats with new ones at $1400.00 the first smog test last year with the new cats blew just like a new car, pass the visual inspections. So now I installed the blower and as long as it has the E.O. numbers and that cross over whats in the system.... done thats it. and boy were they giving me the evel eye too and I just replaced the emission system sticker
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Greenies think all piston engines are evil, and want us all on a train , buses or driving a Tesla.
    Even heard a comment from Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, about East coasters lamenting about gas lines,
    if you were driving an electric you would not have to worry.
    My idea of being green is staying out of the secondaries. It goes over the heads of anyone under 30.
    Last edited by Ray Dog; 05-16-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Rules to live buy: All the stock emission gear required for the OEM state on the Vehicles Emission Control Information diagram must be present.

Negotiable? What constitutes "stock".

Biggest issues are that no one makes Bowel Vent 1980-1988 spec carbs. Except Rochester Reproductions and OEM spec supplies of 4180/90/95C's and some Carter Thermoquads.

All SEMA stuff, including all Demon, Edelbrock carbs or Fast or Fitech Holley Sniper TBI units, are automatically off road and always totally illegal and an instant fail. Because they require Virginia to drop her panties, and shed the 85 to 103 items of emissions parts to establish 39 to 45 new EFI parts. The world biggest con-job and stitch up ever under the coming crisis.

The key thing is you can re-create and re-establish a stock carb OEM emissions system by using period 1966 to 1988 parts.

Look at keeping everything on the Vehicle Emission Control Information tag, and you will pass the visual inspection.

For the tune rules, base timing and setting info has to be shown to be in spec. That's easy to do and show.

For the IM Test, which for CA has ratcheting down H/C/N requirements from its stock year of birth Federal mandated window sticker, you just have to figure out how to address Hydrocarbon, Carbon compound and Nitrogen compound fails by showing you haven't done a lead plug removal or a non standard computer change. That is easy too.

The rules come from Hot Rod Magazine from 1988. Your Hot Rod Guy is your friend.

For pre EECIV engines, use all the stock OEM emissions crutches. You can on M codes, even add EFi while still keeping all the stock carb emissions gear. If they are missing, re-establish them piecemeal.

For Central or SEFi or Bank Fire EFi, your on easy Street because Ford mastered that in each year from 80-84 in 5.0 SO's Panthers and large long wheel base S-car Foxes, and from 84 to 86 and beyond in Panthers, F trucks, E-vans and Foxes and SUV's. For MAF equipped cars, like Mr NAVYCAT says...just use a pre OBD2, technically OBD1.5 1991-1994 engine tune transplant, and as long as you get the MAF transfer algorithm source right, you will meet emissions with ease.

There is no issue with VECi, presentation tune, or passing IM if you follow the rules. There is no burgeoning Smog Nasty Civil War unless we fail to undersrand the needs of the Visual, Presentation timing and IM test.

"The problem we have here is Failure to Communicate. I dont like it any more than you do. And what we get is what happened "last week". We'll, what he wants...he gets it..."

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Why would anyone worry like that when there are so few classics around?
    If it were a frog, bald eagle, nature land, there are laws to preserve history or species.
    Keep em stock or park em? Ban pre-emissions Model T's? What is the diff?
    Yeah, they just see old cars that belch bad stuff, and they want them off the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    so what I did is since the capri is an 86 and the motor is out of a 94 GT all emission parts that came off the 94 MUST be on it. Other then replacing the 4 cats with new ones at $1400.00 the first smog test last year with the new cats blew just like a new car, pass the visual inspections. So now I installed the blower and as long as it has the E.O. numbers and that cross over whats in the system.... done thats it. and boy were they giving me the evel eye too and I just replaced the emission system sticker
    Wait, what? What is E. O. ? And you just tell them what year your engine swap is, and they just believe you and treat it as such? That doesn't sound like the same a-holes that want inspectors to scrutinize every millimeter of you engine bay and fail you at the first sign of trouble. And I don't understand how the supercharger slides by. Did '94 have Thermactor?

XC, most of that went over my head. Much like Donny, I have no frame of reference.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  11.4 KB

I think you're saying pretty much, I'd have to track down a whole damn Thermactor system, Yes? I do have a 1990 emissions label on my coil cover. I hate that crap. It takes up so damn much space. My P heads don't even have the port for it. Plus, my engine is a crate. Automatic fail, I guess. Probably just have to hope it doesn't come to this.

Most of the time, I'm in favor of pro-environment stuff, but some of them take it WAY beyond reason. I wish they would look at the real-world impact, rather than just outlawing all fun.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 05-17-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Power Member

So, am understanding it correctly, you found a blower set up which had an approved EO certification?
    Used. A 94 GT as a base line and had the car recertified to 94.
    Added a blower pa gage which was certified separately as a kit?

Good plan. Seems simple but there is probably a bit more to it to make it work.

Yep my blower has a E.O.# and yes it is a 94 motor......but I didnt tell the smog nazi's lol passed the eye test and the sniffer
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post

Wait, what? What is E. O. ? And you just tell them what year your engine swap is, and they just believe you and treat it as such? That doesn't sound like the same a-holes that want inspectors to scrutinize every millimeter of you engine bay and fail you at the first sign of trouble. And I don't understand how the supercharger slides by. Did '94 have Thermactor?
    We have an agency called C.A.R.B. or California Air Resources Board.

What they do that applies here is test car parts for their emissions. Like heads, intakes, cold air intakes, headers, superchargers, turbos, h and x pipes, cats. Maybe a few parts I'm forgetting.
    If their tests show that the part doesn't significantly add to the car's emissions or something along those lines, they issue the part what they call and Executive Order # or EO.

The EO on a part means it's legal to put on a car that has to smog test here and automatically passes the visual inspection. So then it becomes all about what comes out of the tailpipe.

Look at sites that sell parts like lmr and you'll see some parts with EO #s listed and some without. No EO # means it cannot legally be installed on any car made after 1975 registered in CA.

I'm pretty sure it applies to everything between the air filter and the cat back. I'm sure someone more technical than me can be more specific.

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...placement-cats

And the 1988 articles on big inch engine swaps in Foxes. There is a Smog article which was especially helpful. Nothing has changed in CA regards BAR, CARB, EO numbers and Emission testing...the visual, the standards for each year, the need to assess that the car meets them on a road dyno.

It's very simple. And you can swap in a 351, 302 or non Windsor 351M heads if you keep the stock style of emissions parts.

The propane gas conversions or CNG option also works well. Impco from California has been working long term with the Italian firm BSC on both LP Gas and Natural gas conversions, so you can do a dual fuel conversion to allow a non compliant gasoline car to comply by adding an upstream mixer while the rest of your car is fuel injected. So many solutions, all done by Ak Miller in the 70's. Those guys saw where the emission thing was headed, and brain stormed it.

They were doing advanced systems in 1984 to gell with feedback cars

I've found that although modern EFi vehicles are easier to diagnose, they aren't easier to pass smog than older ones....if you know what your doing.

Thanks for the replies so far, all. Very helpful.

Sorry, i do tend to jump to the worst conclusion way too easily.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Power Member

Adding to the CA issues, they recently made it illegal to ship non-carb approved parts to CA even for off road use. Its also pretty much your responsibility to provide the EO documents to prove you parts are ok. Often you can get it from the manufacturer website. Don't expect the smog tech to look it up.

Oh don't get me started on this subject! The smog laws and tech ability to validate them are broken here in CA. Most smog shop techs I visited looked at my car and said NFW! I have a referee sticker (M81 Federal from 1981) but it's too old and not in their system anymore.They just said go see the referee even though I have all CA smog parts on here and functional. I even show them the VECI diagram to confirm and they find a reason to move on because they don't like doing EVAP and EGR tests because it takes too much time. Because of past under the table deals; they can lose their license and pay big fines if something passes but later is flagged. They prefer the late model cars for "testing" where they just plug in the OBD port and if the car says it's ready the test is done and no rolling tailpipe test. Easiest $50 they can make without getting dirty.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

see below

I'm a Civil Engineering Technician, so I do the complicated stuff, as well as the Nuts and Bolts...

but plenty of non CE types have explained this better

Hot Rod

August 1988

Everyone should read and understand the basics.

IM Test sheet example

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    Greenies think all piston engines are evil, and want us all on a train , buses or driving a Tesla.
    Even heard a comment from Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, about East coasters lamenting about gas lines,
    if you were driving an electric you would not have to worry.
    My idea of being green is staying out of the secondaries. It goes over the heads of anyone under 30.
    It is disappointing to hear that she has any influence on anything that affects people. She was a waste of time and space as a governor. Does she still have that huge mole on her face? Apparently long lines at charging stations won't be a problem when they won't let us buy gas anymore and force us to all drive e-Mustangs.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Oh don't get me started on this subject! The smog laws and tech ability to validate them are broken here in CA. Most smog shop techs I visited looked at my car and said NFW! I have a referee sticker (M81 Federal from 1981) but it's too old and not in their system anymore.They just said go see the referee even though I have all CA smog parts on here and functional. I even show them the VECI diagram to confirm and they find a reason to move on because they don't like doing EVAP and EGR tests because it takes too much time. Because of past under the table deals; they can lose their license and pay big fines if something passes but later is flagged. They prefer the late model cars for "testing" where they just plug in the OBD port and if the car says it's ready the test is done and no rolling tailpipe test. Easiest $50 they can make without getting dirty.
    Did you get your car smogged. I can ask my guy if he would do it.

No, I'm not sure what exactly they plan to do.
    So far, no emission testing according to this.

https://www.dmv.com/mn/minnesota/emi...&pg_tc=captcha

Do you have a link that says they are going to start?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

No, but they did announce they are starting California emissions for new cars. We did have testing here once, but it didn't last long. I'm just thinking they might do some sort of enforcement at some point. Especially if the RPM act doesn't pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

No, but they did announce they are starting California emissions for new cars. We did have testing here once, but it didn't last long. I'm just thinking they might do some sort of enforcement at some point. Especially if the RPM act doesn't pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    But will they waste their time having to actually buy setups that check actual emissions.
    Even Jersey figured out that's a lot of money for less and less non OBDII cars on the road, especially
    ancient fox bodies.

Even if I didn't already have antique plates, there are no emission tests on anything OBD I. Too many different
    protocols to tap into the different manufacturer's ECM's themselves. And it's not going to change actual overall state
    emissions in any way, testing every pre OBDII car.

You can check into it just in case, but I wouldn't worry about it all that much right now.

Guess they will grab the money now before electric takes over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast