Close

Thread: Hood pins??

Default Hood pins??

I bought my 85 Notch from a guy in Connecticut. They are a front license plate state and PA (where I live) is not. I removed the license plate bracket and there are 2 holes in the bumper cover as well as some minor abrasions from where the bracket rubbed. No biggie as I have a good buddy who does paint and bodywork.

I brought the car to him to look at to fill and paint the holes. He suggested a set of hood pins. He mentioned that a lot of Foxbodies are known for weak hood latches and they have issues with the hood flying open and damaging the roof and cowl. Obviously, I don't want that to happen to my car so I'm considering a set of hood pins.

What hood pins are you guys running?? I want something better quality than the cheap Chinese versions you see all over for $15.00. I saw a set by Eddie Motorsports that looked really nice but they were $150.00 which is a huge difference from $15.00.

Any thoughts or feedback??

That's a first relative to foxbodies being known for weak hood latches having issues with the hood flying open...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

My thought is dont do it.

I believe the hoods that fly open are from people that only have hood pins and forgot to fasten them.

I have not heard of this happening as often as your good buddy has suggested.

I have had a hood fly open on me, but that was due to 2 reasons, one I was doing work on it and had removed the secondary latch that prevents this from happening when the hood doesn't latch properly. the second reason was that my young daughters had been playing in the car and I didn't know they had pulled the hood release cable. Needless to say could have been prevented.

I have seen many Fox Bodies that the hood latch is not properly adjusted and the hood will pop open when driving at speeds above 30 MPH or so. The other issue is people adjusting the hood bumpers too high and preventing the hood latch from catching properly. As stated above, removing the secondary latch (hook) is a bad idea and I don't suggest it.

Lastly 83-86 hoods are getting harder to find in good shape and I would not recommend drilling holes in a perfectly good hood. If you really want hood pins for the look or any other reason, grab you a cheap fiberglass hood and drill away. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I drove y '84 as a DD for years and put 70+K miles on it with no issues.. They were designed to stay down and have the secondary safety latch (the one you have to manually move at the front to open).
    IMHO If they are properly adjusted and lubricated you should never have an issue.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

So after further research, it appears that the stock steel hoods aren't really subject to the issue of popping open.

I absolutely did NOT want to drill into my stock hood which is in excellent condition. I also don't think that hood pins look great on Foxbodies. I was just concerned with what my buddy told me.

I'm not going to install any hood pins. I'm going to make sure that my stock hood latch is properly lubricated and in good working order.

Quote Originally Posted by GMW468 View Post
    So after further research, it appears that the stock steel hoods aren't really subject to the issue of popping open.

I absolutely did NOT want to drill into my stock hood which is in excellent condition. I also don't think that hood pins look great on Foxbodies. I was just concerned with what my buddy told me.

I'm not going to install any hood pins. I'm going to make sure that my stock hood latch is properly lubricated and in good working order.

I think you’re making a fantastic choice!
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch