Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Power Member

Default Rack and Pinion Replacement Help.

Hello there...

I'm about to replace the rack in my 93 with a brand new 10:1 sport ratio unit from LMR. My question is about the steering shaft itself.

Would it be easier to undo the shaft at the firewall bolt and pull it all out as a complete unit?, does the rag joint even fit through the K-member?

What is be best way to tackle this little project?.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

Unbolt the shaft from the rack, it may take some effort to get the splines to release.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

10:1 rack? Never heard of such a thing, and I don't see it listed on LMR's website. Got a link?
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    10:1 rack? Never heard of such a thing, and I don't see it listed on LMR's website. Got a link?
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3504A-KIT/8...g-Rack-Kit-50L

Would also remove it from the rack
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Ahhh! I saw that one, but on the Steering Parts page it's just listed as "Power Steering Rack (79-93)", so I assumed it was a stock replacement and didn't bother to click the link.

I'll definitely be interested to hear some feedback once you've gotten it installed and had a chance to get some time behind the wheel. 10:1 is a really quick rack!

FEP Power Member

Alright then.. now, if I could only build up the motivation to start.

Thank y'all for the input. I'll post the results later.

I'm interested in this as well. My '84 Thunderbird needs a complete front suspension update and I'm considering upgrading to a quicker ratio steering rack as part of the project.

Any feedback on how this rack drives? It would be interesting to know more details on the torsion bar size. 10:1 is quite a bite from 15:1. Increasing steering speed by a full 1/3. Hmmmm.

FEP Power Member

So got the rack up and running, the install wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Runs great now, nice and smooth with only 2 1/4 turn lock to lock. Time will tell.

Edited.
    Last edited by TheWizard; 07-25-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Any pictures of the shipping materials or on the rack to identify it? I see on their site the reviews say it is an A/C Delco remanufactured unit, so I wonder what it is from with a 10:0:1 ratio.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Any pictures of the shipping materials or on the rack to identify it? I see on their site the reviews say it is an A/C Delco remanufactured unit, so I wonder what it is from with a 10:0:1 ratio.
    This is from the manufacture's website.

https://catalog.larescorp.com/part/16191/

Something still doesn't seem right to me about that 10:1 ratio. That link says it's rebuilt to OE specifications, and I've never heard of any Ford rack being that quick. 10:1 is a really, really quick ratio, like race car quick. The quickest OEM street car ratios I've ever seen are in the 12.5:1 - 13:1 range.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Something still doesn't seem right to me about that 10:1 ratio. That link says it's rebuilt to OE specifications, and I've never heard of any Ford rack being that quick. 10:1 is a really, really quick ratio, like race car quick. The quickest OEM street car ratios I've ever seen are in the 12.5:1 - 13:1 range.
    If you don't mind can you possibly highlight for me where it says rebuilt? I think I missed that part.

FEP Senior Member

FWIW I've used Lares to rebuild PS pumps over the years and they do a great job. This is a new rack, but assuming they test it before it is shipped. They test every rebuild before it leaves their facility.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    If you don't mind can you possibly highlight for me where it says rebuilt? I think I missed that part.
    My apologies, I was going off what ccurtin's post said. Regardless of whether it's new or rebuilt, their page says "engineered to OE specifications", but I don't think there was ever an OE 10:1 rack, so I don't understand how that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    Go to LMR's site, sort the reviews by lowest to highest and you'll see people saying they are remanufactured units. Also lots of complaints about the tie rod ends. I have no skin in this, just looking at the negative reviews.

Since you have one in hand, what does the rack look like? Does it look like the original #'s are ground off or painted over? Original ford units had those date stampings and part #'s that the rebuilds try to remove so you can't tell what the rack actually is.

Hmm, just noticed that the oldest reviews are from 2014. How the heck has this been around for 7 years and no one mention it before? There have been a ton of posts here and on FB about cobra racks, sn95 racks but I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned as an option.

The 'remanufactured' comments were from 2017 too, so maybe it is a new rack these days. Now I'm really curious what this is.

FEP Power Member

I'm trying to post pics. But it's been awhile

https://flic.kr/p/2mfRcyv

Should be some pictures in there.

Last edited by TheWizard; 08-07-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Please let us know how it works, that doesn't look like any of the fox racks I've installed. Looks a little bit like the early TRW racks but not exactly. Great if we have another option!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Please let us know how it works, that doesn't look like any of the fox racks I've installed. Looks a little bit like the early TRW racks but not exactly. Great if we have another option!
    The steering as a whole is much quieter and smoother, I did get some air trapped in the system which took some effort to get rid of, but that was entirely my fault.

I honestly don't notice much difference as far as quickness (probably the stock rag joint), but it does take a little less travel of the steering wheel to turn the corner. And finally my steering rack doesn't leak.

I have this rack and its leaking bad after only a year. Used new fluid, and all new lines as well. It leaks worse than the original did. Mine was in an AC delco box as well, I was very disappointed to see that.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by mckinnon99879 View Post
    I have this rack and its leaking bad after only a year. Used new fluid, and all new lines as well. It leaks worse than the original did. Mine was in an AC delco box as well, I was very disappointed to see that.
    So far no issues here at all, but the car has been driven maybe a couple hundred miles since the install. So time will tell. Btw mine did not come with any AC Delco markings anywhere, it came in a Lares Corp. box and instructions, etc.

I saw the "10:1" rack on LMR a year or so ago and though that was super fast and might be interesting for my GT350 which needs a new rack. LMR has since revised their description to 15:1 for their new rack. I did see the Lares unit listed on Rockauto as a 10:1 rack and went to their site to confirm. Lares does list the unit as new and 10:1.

https://catalog.larescorp.com/part/16191/

I came to do a search here to see if anyone had experience with the Lares unit as 10:1 seems almost unbelievably fast (my Fiesta ST was like 13:1 and that was quite quick). It would definitely be a noticeable jump in steering speed from the 15:1 rack. So if anyone has tried the Lares unit do you think it's actually 10:1 or just a new 15:1 option?
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Good evening all, just a quick follow-up. I ended up purchasing the Lares "10:1" unit, part number 16191. It appears to be a pretty nice piece and I've seen good reviews of their other products so I guess we'll see how it goes when I install it in the spring. I did a quick comparison between this rack and the 20:1 and 15:1 Flaming River manual racks that I have free at the moment and I would say that this Lares unit is right around a 15:1 ratio. A full rotation of the input shaft results in about 1/16" more tie rod movement than the 15:1 manual rack. For the record, the 15:1 manual rack moves the tie rod 1/2" more than the 20:1 rack in one rotation. I will compare this to a 15:1 Ford rack when I have one free.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast