Close

Thread: 5 lug spindles

Default 5 lug spindles

I want to run a factory Bullitt wheel on my 85, probably 17 x 8 all around and on a fox width rear. What combination of 94-95 or 96-04 spindles and SN95 or s197 wheels would fit best without rubbing etc. at stock ride height?

94/95 Spindles with OEM K member. The 96-04 spindles will cause bump steer that can not be fully corrected.

OEM bullit wheels 8" wide with 30mm offset will work just fine. 245/45/17 is essentially same overall diameter of stock 85/86 ten holes with 225/60/15 tires.

Swap out your ball joint in your original lower control arms for OEM Ford SN95 ball joints. Don't use the aftermarket junk, get the OEM Ford ball joints. GT/v6 or Cobra brakes will both work with the 17" wheels. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the info! Kinda obvious but it's easier to find the later SN95 spindles in the wrecking yards. I bought the car long ago with blue coil springs that I suspect are aftermarket and it sits low with the LCA pivot below the ball joint. There are wear marks on the inner fenderwell liners from the current set up of 225/60's on 10 holes. I suspect the ride height will require a little tuning when I get the parts together.

Just a note of caution. When swapping to the 94/95 spindle, you will lose much of your negative camber. This is because on the 86 and earlier cars the K-member A-arm pickups are .5" per side more inboard than the 87+ v8 cars. As a result the spindles use up most of the negative camber adjustment just to reach stock camber specs. Even with CC plates (I recommend MM's), not much more can be gained.

An alternative to swapping to the sn95 ball joint as discussed above, is to install sn95 a-arms. They come with the correct ball joint for the sn95 spindles and are about 1.25" longer than the stock Fox arms. This will not only give you a wider front track which improves handling, but you will gain back most if not more negative camber.

However, on my 86 when running Ford "C" springs all around, the extra a-arm length puts more leverage on the spring which will cause the car to lower some amount. Since I had the "C" springs that lowered amount was too much causing fender rub. I raised it back up and had no fender rub issues without rolling the fenders. I ran 97 Cobra 17x8s with 245/45/17s all around and eventually went to 01 Cobra 17x8s with 255/40s and no rub.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by BossP351 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Kinda obvious but it's easier to find the later SN95 spindles in the wrecking yards. I bought the car long ago with blue coil springs that I suspect are aftermarket and it sits low with the LCA pivot below the ball joint. There are wear marks on the inner fenderwell liners from the current set up of 225/60's on 10 holes. I suspect the ride height will require a little tuning when I get the parts together.
    Blue springs are probably from Steeda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk