Close

Default Switching Bowl Vent Carburetor 5200 Emmisions question 1979 Mercury Capri 2.3 Liter

hello I searched this forum about a Switching Bowl Vent with no avail. My question is I just put this carburetor on my 1979 Mercury Capri 2.3 liter. I do have the EGR delete kit on the manifold. In addition, The charcoal canister is missing but I will install a charcoal canister in the future along with some of the emission control hoses stuff that I already found on this site. My question is. Can I cap the switching control vent for the time being or does someone have an idea where I can put small charcoal canister or make one. I think I understand the function of the switching bowl vent switch it opens when engine is OFF to help vent fumes from the bowl to the charcoal canister and closes when engine is running. Thanks

The bowl vent can be capped for the time being. Your understanding of the vent operation is correct.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

and I'd love to see some pics of your Capri!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Don't cap the vent, it needs to be open for the carb to work properly. It can be just left open which was how it was done prior to emissions rules. The reason for the vent tube to the carbon canister is to capture fuel vapours from the carb to reduce pollution.

If the vent is open and not connected to a canister, is possible a bit of dust and stuff can enter the bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    If the vent is open and not connected to a canister, is possible a bit of dust and stuff can enter the bowl?
    I suppose its possible, but there isn't really any air flow to suck anything in, it's really just for pressure balance. On older carbs the vent was inside the air horn and covered by the air cleaner so wasn't a problem. If you are in conditions that are seriously dusty and concerned about it you could rig up a short hose with a filter of some sort on it.

thanks for the reply I might just buy a small fuel Clear filter or a PVC filter and try that. thanks

Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I have been trying to post some pictures of my Capri but for whatever reason it wont let me upload. I try to attach some picture on this reply. please tell me if you received the pictures thanks.